Chapter Fifty Seven

At first, for a fraction of their journey, no demon approached them. As miraculous as it was, it did not last long. Demons emerged from everywhere they could, blood crazed monsters engaging the group in battle not for the things that were at stake that day, but for their own pleasure.

There seemed no end to their army, hundreds upon hundreds materializing out of thin air, their numbers rivaling those they left behind. Seeing their army, Joan felt despair rear its ugly head.

Can't stop now. We are too close. She told herself. It won't end here. I will see to it that this mission is complete.

She raised her sword and began cutting her way to the Sanctuary gates, which loomed over, tantalizingly close.

If the battles before had been fierce and bloody, then Joan's current fight was on an entirely different level. With determination driving every fiber of her being, she plunged herself into the sea of demons, sword flashing and blasting, reducing flesh, bone and whole bodies to nothing. Blood splashed everywhere, drops of red merging together until the blood of all the demons she killed became one. She was covered in it, head to toe, more spraying all over her face as she cut open another demon's chest with great ferocity.

The Sanctuary gates drew closer, and Joan wove past demons and angels alike. She heard Heidi cry out her name in warning, but reacted a second too late as something large smacked her aside, sending her cart wheeling through the air, skidding against the ground before landing painfully. Hurt but far from defeated, she rolled to safety, avoiding being trampled upon. Lurching to her feet, her gaze traveled upwards to find that what had slammed into her- a hand that belonged to a giant of a demon fiercely guarding the gate to the Sanctuary.

A rumbling growl alerted her that Avander had seen what had happened, for he launched himself at the giant, a single, hardly distinguishable shape surrounded by a whirl of crackling energy and thick shadows. The demon laughed a deep, booming laugh as he punched back Avander's attack.

"Why not give it another shot Avander?" The demon mocked. "Go on, you've got more power than that!"

The monster suddenly cried out as a series of light beams struck him in the face. Shielding his eyes and groped the air blindly, Joan felt her heart skip a beat as the demon's hand closed around Heidi, plucking her right out of the air.

"Not so fast little birdie." The demon cackled despite the red bruises on its ugly, flat face Avander unleashed his servants upon the demon, forming the large bird from before. Both Avander and the bird attacked in unison, clawing at the tough skin and drawing blood where they could.

An idea formed in Joan's mind and she was on her feet at once, racing forward. The giant demon was far too distracted to notice her inching forward, staring determinedly at the creatures thick tree trunk like legs, weaving and dodging as the demon stomped about. Joan brought her sword around and dug the wispy blade into a leg. Despite its thickness, the sword cut clean through the layers of skin and flesh, down to the bone and then beyond, leaving behind the stump that had been the foot. The demon wobbled, arms turning in circles as it fought to keep balance. It was unable to do so and pitched forward, gravity pulling the huge ogre down.

Joan was already sprinting away, but knew she could not escape fast enough. Fortunately at that exact moment Avander's arm curled around her waist and they lunged, darting out from underneath the great shadow and rolling across the snow to safety. The demon's fist released Heidi and she took to the sky just as the giant hit the ground. It rolled down the slope like a boulder, leaving the ground trembling in it's wake. Panic stricken demons rushed out of the way, momentarily forgetting their objectives.