Epilogue (Part I)

Eternity lasts forever, he realized that now. In a space both constricted and continuous, he hung suspended by nothing. A speck in the vast, unknown space.

He did not move, he did not breathe. He hung with his dark hair swirling around his naked form. His eyes saw nothing, because there was nothing to see. Yet, his brain worked tirelessly, keeping the wispy, fragmentary memories nestled in a corner of his mind. It was all he needed, all that he needed to remember.

The only sound in the void was a hum, both near and yet very far. His skin tingled in response to it. But he did not know what was happening to his body, the changes that were taking place. In the space where time was lost, he knew nothing but his own, slightly faded memories.

Eternity, for all its talk of being everlasting, had a funny way of passing by. At one point he had become aware of something new in the void. It had escaped his noticed earlier, for that something had started out as a tiny nothing, before growing into a large something. A light, warm and blinding shined out, beckoning to him like an old friend. When that happened, for the first time he felt his body come alive, muscles jerking and stretching uncertainly, as though they had forgotten how to function. Blood flowed in a sudden gush through his empty veins. He twitched, eyes flying open as his brain exploded with a great many thoughts and memories.

Their faces danced before him, the only two people he had ever loved, just within reach. The little girl with gold for hair reached for him, planting a kiss on his head and whispering words as sweet as honey, words that filled him with wild, uncontrollable joy. Joy that had warmed his cold body even in death. Then the golden haired girl was gone and her face swam before him, eyelashes fluttering back over red-pink eyes as she regarded him with a secretive smile. He ached to run his fingers through her hair, to taste her lips and hold her in his arms. The desire to do so consumed him, instinct that was beyond explanation spurring him on. He reached out a hand.

An old machine choking back to life. That was what he had become. He shook of the rust and groped for the light stiffly, aware of the sounds that filtered past the white streaks. The soft, familiar murmur of a child's voice urged him on.

I'm coming. He told himself. Just a bit further.

His movements become smoother, limbs remembering how to function with each step. Before he knew it, he was upright and running, shuffling forward at first before eventually breaking into a sprint. His bare feet pattered softly against the blackness below him. The child whispered in encouragement.

I'm coming.

His fingers touched the light. He actually touched it. Warmth flooded him, as well as a sudden jolt of electricity that was sent buzzing over his skin. He lurched forward, letting the light reel him in, bathing in it's glow.

I'm coming Joan. Avander shouted out. I'm coming. I won't let you be alone again.