Chapter Thirty Two

The silence of the dungeons was broken occasionally by the low moan or cry of a tortured soul. Jail bars were set into cells carved in the black stone walls, behind which both demons and human souls were held captive. Each endured some sort of punishment or the other.

One soul was chained to the ground, every inch on his skin pierced with swords and knives, flesh skewered by sharp blades glistening crimson in the dim light. In another cell one demon's limbs seemed to have gone completely out of control, its body twisting at odd angles. The snap and cracks signaled the break and reforming of bones. The demon's eyes bulged out of its head and its thick arm twisted around its neck to its front while a furry leg looked as though it had been bent in every way possible, reaching over the shoulder and touching the demon's back. Next to this cell was a soul pinned to the wall while strange wolf like creatures with red eyes ripped away bits of flesh slowly but savagely, spraying blood everywhere.

Glancing into these cells, Satan maintained his bored expression, taking note of the fact that he needed to find new torture methods.
Red robes swishing behind him, he continued on his way, pausing only in front of a cell to change the method of torture with a snap of his fingers. Turning his back on the demon who was now having bits of its own hacked flesh force down his throat ,he noticed a shadow twitch on the wall.

"You're late." Satan muttered. At once Javier peeled himself from the wall, yellow eyes flashing. There was a wide grin on his face, showing off his blood splattered teeth, clutching a decapitated hand that had once belonged to a woman.

"Apologies Master." Javier said, bowing low. "I just stepped out to get a snack. A very filling one it was. She let me play with her before I ripped her apart."
"I do not care to know of the mortal you ravaged." Satan said severely. "I have a job for you."
"Of course Master." Javier bowed again, tossing the hand into a nearby cell and barely looking back at the sound of growls and scrabbling.
"Does it concern lovely little Joanne Hale?"
"Yes," Satan said, continuing his stroll to one cell in particular. "It seems she has chosen not to pursue me for now." He explained as Javier fell into stride behind him. "The Godling is attempting to keep my control over the girl at bay and so far, she is succeeding. I believe it's time I speed up things."
"How shall that be done, My Lord?" Javier asked.
"You are to deliver her a message. It's time I give her the confrontation she craves."

They stopped at a dingy cell, from which came low whimpers and moans. Inside lay a man dressed in fine clothes now reduced to rags, chained to the wall with many cuts and bruises, dark shapes circling around him. His body was frail, unlike the powerful, confident leader of the Amaki he had once been. Satan banished the shadows and Alastair raised his head tentatively.

"Master!" he croaked, trying to lunge at the bars of the cell. "Master please free me, please Master–"
"Silence!" Satan snapped and Alastair grew quiet. He turned back to Javier, who was watching the mortal with amusement.

"Tell Joanne Hale that I have what she seeks. If she wishes to take her soul fraction back from me, she will meet me in the Church of Saint Peter ad Vincula, the Tower of London on the twenty fifth day of this month, midnight."
"Yes Master." Javier nodded. "My Lord, what do you plan to do, if I may ask?"Satan chuckled darkly, glancing in Alastair's direction. "I will give her what she truly desires. On that day, she will become mine to control."
Javier grinned, his bloodstained face a terrifying sight in the shadows of the dungeons. "I see. Anything else you wish for me to do? Maybe I should rattle her up a bit? If I may be so bold to ask, may I get a taste of her while I'm at it. She does look oh so delicious."

A thin smile curled around Satan's lips, as though he had been hoping for such a request. "That is not a bad idea." He appeared to consider. "I give you permission to toy with her a bit, but be sure not to harm her, or I shall have you eat your own entrails."

"You are too kind master." Javier laughed, dissolving into the shadows. Satan turned back to Alastair, whose lips moved soundlessly as he struggled onto his knees.

"Fret not Alastair, your time will come when you will prove to be of use tome." He murmured, humor lacing his tone, while his eyes remained cold and lifeless.
"Very soon I shall free you and you shall fulfill your purpose. Your death will be a very painful one at Joanne Hale's hands I'm afraid."

Alastair let a strangled cry escape his throat as he begged once more, but as always Satan chose to ignore him. He turned to leave but halted in his tracks as though something had just occurred to him. He turned back, hand raised.

"You know your death is inevitable Alastair." He said with a smile. "But I shall make things easy for you. You won't fear what is to come after you've experienced it a few times."

At once, Alastair was thrown backwards, body withering and convulsing,screaming lungs "Don't kill me!" at the top of his lungs again and again. Satan left him as he was, relishing the screams of the pathetic man as they echoed throughout the dungeons.