Chapter Eleven

The invitation arrived a few days later when Thomas Colton called at the Manor. While delivering the invitation, Thomas invited Joan to accompany him to an art exhibition. Agreeing to join him, Joan rapidly acquainted herself with him and, in doing so, gained all the information she need to set her plan into motion.

It was now on the night of the theater's grand opening that Joan stood in front of the mirror while Rita fussed around her, pulling her hair into an elegant bun on top of her head. Joan rarely liked to dress up, however she was required her to look presentable for an occasion such as this. As Rita finished up with her hair, Joan stood up and examined herself in the mirror, rubbing away imaginary creases upon her dark gown. She didn't particularly like this one, her shoulder s and arms were bare and the dress seemed much too tight for her liking, but she had no choice but to deal with it.  Her mark had been covered up by a pair of dark gloves that extend to her elbows,which went perfectly with the dress.As Rita left the room , Avander suddenly appeared beside her.

"How long have you been there?" Joan asked, barely sparing him a glance as she continued to assess her reflection.

"A while." Avander replied with a smirk. "Don't you look beautiful?"

Joan was vaguely aware of the demon's much too interested gaze lingering over her. She threw him a dirty look. "As if demons would know anything about beauty." She muttered.

"I beg to differ." Avander said, placing both his hands on the dressing table behind Joan, trapping her in between. "I've had my fair share of pretty little mortals." He added, leaning closer.

"Get away from me demon." Joan hissed. "I have neither the time nor the patience to deal with such foolishness."

"As you wish." The demon pulled away, still smiling evilly. Joan glared at him before regaining her businesslike composure."

"Now, you know what you are supposed to do I hope?" she asked.

"Yes." Avander replied.

"Good." Joan said with a nod. "We cannot afford any blunders. If things don't go the way they should and Colton escapes, we may not have a second chance. Understood?"

"You worry too much." Avander said in an offhand way. "Everything will go perfectly. Your enemy will be dead by the time this night is over and I shall devour another soul. "

Before Joan could snap at him for his relaxed manner, there was a knock on the door and Arnold announced that her escort had arrived.

Sweeping out of the room and walking down the stairs, Joan saw Rita waiting for her with Heidi. The little girl beamed at her.

"You look really pretty Joan." She said as Rita helped Joan into her coat.

"Thank you Heidi." Joan smiled at the girl. "Now, don't stay up too long. You should be fast asleep by the time I come back."

It was strange for her to fuss about someone, but in the short while that Heidi had been at the manor, Joan finally learned what it felt like to have a sibling. She earlier thought of bringing Heidi along with her to the show, but had decided against it. If things went according to the plan, she did not want Heidi to see what would happen at the theater.

Stepping out into the cold, Joan was greeted by Thomas Colton, who had kindly offered to escort her. They exchanged brief pleasantries before the coach set off.

Upon arriving at the theater, the pair of them were greeted by hired guards running round the outside of the theater, ushering guests and visitors in. Coaches stood on either side of the streets with rich and important looking people pouring out from them. Guided in, Joan was quickly introduced to Colton's colleagues and associates by Thomas before being lead to the main auditorium where they took their seats.