Chapter Nineteen

"You're home early Joan." Heidi said as she raced down the stair case to greet the other girl. Joan looked up as she handed her coat to Rita, a tired and frustrated expression on her face as she strained to smile.

"Yes, well, I seemed to have finished whatever business I had early today." She said. By business, she meant the mission she had to carry out for the Amaki.

Avander walked past Heidi, who smiled at him briefly while Rita wasn't looking. The demon, much to Joan's surprise, gave the girl an acknowledging nod before disappearing.

She didn't bother contemplating on it, there was already so much on her mind. She just returned from killing off one of the Amaki's targets, a former member who had tried to leave the cult and, as per the rules, once one had become a member, they were bound to serve the Devil for life. Naturally, the man had to be eliminated if the Amaki's secrecy was to be preserved.

The job had gone smoothly, however Alastair had not been so forthcoming with the information he had promised her. What little leads she had been provided with were still undergoing investigation, which so far had not been very fruitful.

She was constantly tempted to leave the Amaki. It was not the thought of Alastair sending someone to kill her that held her back from doing so; rather it was the need to find out what was happening underneath the surface that made her grit her teeth and carry out her missions.

She had been allowed access to the private Amaki Archives and through that, she had been able to study records of her father and other Hale family activities, none of which had been a pleasant read. Eric Hale's activities came as a particular shock to her. She had always seen her parent's as good, pure hearted people, something close to saints in her eyes. But once she had started going through the records did she her father in a new light, one she wished she hadn't.

He had carried out many jobs on the Amaki's behalf, killing countless unfortunate targets. He had also been very proficient in the dark arts, taking part in many horrible rituals. His devotion to Satan and the Amaki had caused him to move up among the ranks, until he had eventually become the head of the organization.

There had, thankfully been no mention of her mother in the archives, meaning she had either been unaware of her husband's activities, or had chosen not to be involved. Nevertheless, this new information greatly shook Joan, even though she had tried hard not to be bothered.

But she was bothered. She expected finding out nasty bits about her father's activities, but this was far worse than she had imagined. He actually seemed to enjoy his work, from what she had read. This made her double her efforts in trying to open the stubborn little door. Using whatever magic she knew, going so far as to smear some of her own blood onto the door's surface. At the same time she searched for clues, even though the last few lines for her father's second letter were still in her mind. Still, she searched, secretly hoping she would not have to do what she greatly dreaded.

"Madam Hale." Rita's voice pulled the girl out of her thoughts. "Dinner is almost ready. You and Heidi should make your way to the Dining Hall."

"Of course." Joan said unenthusiastically as she and the little girl made their way to the Hall.

While Rita went about laying the food, Joan gazed out of the window. Her mind plotted and schemed. She thought about having Avander have a look around Alastair's house again, since the first attempt had not turned up with much. She thought about the few leads to the other possible Amaki members who may have been with Colton and how none of them added up to anything. And finally, she thought about that damned door and wondered what approach she should try next.

Her faraway look must have been evident, for Heidi glanced at her curiously and asked "Are you okay Joan? You seem really distracted."

Joan's head jerked around as she remembered she was not alone. "Oh, it's nothing, I'm fine." She said with another strained smile.

"Something is bothering you, I can tell." The girl said, setting her spoon down. "Can I help?"

Joan shook her head. "No, I'm afraid you can't -"

"I think i can." Heidi said,leaning forward in her seat a little "After all, for every question, there is an answer.For every puzzle, a solution, and for every lock, a key." As the girl spoke, her voice grew quieter, more knowing. She fixed Joan with the same distant but powerful gaze she had back in the graveyard.

"Sometimes, the answers, the solution and the key are right in front of us, but we cannot hope to grasp that which we do not accept. You cannot hope to open a door if you deny that the key is the key."

"What are you trying to say Heidi?" Joan asked quietly, keeping her voice steady and disinterested.

"You know what i ask of you Joan." Heidi said grimly. "It is a difficult task, but you must do It."

..secrets that I will take to my grave...

As these words flashed in her mind Joan set her fork down suddenly, the loud clatter of silverware against wood echoing in the room. "If you are so eager for me to open that door, you must know what secrets it holds ." It was a statement, not a question. Heidi acknowledged the fact with a nod.

"Why don't you just tell me then? Tell me what you are and what purpose you have here."

Both girls stared at each other. Something close to sadness flashed in Heidi's distant eyes.

"I cannot simply hand over such information to you just like that." She said. "You will never accept it, you will never truly believe unless you open that door for yourself. It is not my place to impart you with such knowledge, not yet."

"It's either now or never Heidi." Joan said calmly, even though on she could feel her anger and frustration bubbling inside her. "I will not do it."

The look of sympathy Heidi gave her made Joan want to throw something at her. "It is your choice Joan." She said, getting up. "But if you want answers, you will have to do that which you dread. The more difficult the task, the more more important the outcome.Good night."

With that, the little girl left the dining hall. Joan was left sitting alone. Finishing up her meal in silence, she too left the hall, locking herself in the study and working obsessively at the door, her father's and Heidi's words still ringing in her ears.

No. She told herself as she tossed aside a book of spells. There has to be another way. No matter how far I have fallen, that is one thing I cannot do.

But when she was summoned by Alastair a few days later, things quickly changed.

----------------------

Apologies for the delay,but well here's the next few chapters. When Heaven meets Hell has now reached 1K reads and plenty of votes,so a HUGE thanks to every one who's been reading,voting and commenting on my story. I never thought i'd ever reach this far :D