Chapter Forty Seven

"Madam, you have guests." Rita poked her head through the door way. Joan, who stood by the window of her study gazing outside nodded without looking around.

"Let them in and inform Heidi. I shall be downstairs in a minute."

The maid left and Joan composed herself, striding out into the corridor after minute and making her way towards Avander's room.
"Are you up?" She asked, pushing open the door after a quick knock. "The Angels are here. We need to go down to meet them."

"It's about time." Avander answered, his form blossoming out of the darkness. It had only been a short time and already he had made a quick recovery– with Joan's help of course. He was finally able to stand and walk around, although his being visible had its complications.

When the servants had come around, they had been very surprised to find an injured stranger had taken up residence in the manor. Joan had explained to them that he was an acquaintance who had been visiting England, but had a nasty accident and needed a place to recover. Rita in particular had been most intrigued and suspicious by their guest, but she chose to keep silent about her doubts and speculations.

Heidi was already seated in the great room before the angels. Today it was Belefees and Lucifer who had come. They explained that Gabriel himself was very busy, being one of the most important archangels after all.

"We still find ourselves clashing with demons every now and then." Belefees explained. "They are leaving hell in large numbers. While they are only able to remain on earth for a short while, they manage to wreck havoc still. The last remains of the Amaki are proving to be a nuisance as well, but you have weakened them enough and we will deal with the rest. However, the scent of the coming battle hangs heavy in the air."

"Then we must act quickly." Joan said calmly.
"And how are you Lucifer?" Heidi piped up kindly.

Lucifer looked up, still not used to being treated kindly. "I am well. My power has been restored and I am welcomed back to Heaven. I am acting as a spy on earth, monitoring demon activity. Also–"

He glanced at Joan. The two were still quiet uncomfortable in one anothers presence. Lucifer believed Joan still had not put aside her treatment at his hands. He was correct, she had not, but she maintained cordial relation out of gratitude for his assistance, and on Heidi's insistence as well.

"I have seen to making sure your name was cleared up. The word out now is that you had been found innocent and released."

"Thank you, I shall be able to move around with ease then." Joan said politely. "To more urgent matters now. We are to meet with Satan in two days. We need a plan to make sure this confrontation does not end badly. This may be the only chance I have to get my soul fraction back."

"We can't deal with the Devil head on." Avander said, looking very grim. "He'll over power us easily."
"We shall have an angel battalion on standby." Belefees informed them "The Guide will not go in alone."
"That still won't be enough." Heidi shook her head. "You are underestimating his power and cunning. Rest assured, if I were to engage him in battle right now, I will surely lose."

"How are we to go about this then?" Joan murmured, sounding exasperated.

"The Devil will have your soul fraction close to him." Heidi informed them. "We need to force him to reveal it to us. Doing so by combat will be nearly impossible. But I believe I can use my abilities to do so instead. You will however have to give me some time."

"But he will know what we are up to at once." Lucifer interjected. "There is little that escapes his knowledge."
"We will just have to keep him busy." Avander shrugged. "Honestly, this is a suicide mission anyway. We can't be sure what will happen.
"Especially if Satan too has something planned." Joan added, the solemn expression on her face unwavering. "Still, we must try, even if the situation is likely to go up in flames."