Chapter Nine

"Come in." The voice of Henry Colton called in answer to the quick knock on his study door. At once, it creaked open and Thomas Colton entered. Without waiting for his father to speak, Thomas shut the door, making sure he locked it before taking a seat in front of his father's desk.

"I have informed our brothers of the recent developments regarding Joanne Hale. They are pleased to hear that she has acted just as they had wished. He is particularly happy about our meeting with her."

Colton nodded. He was standing with his back to his son, gazing out of the window with a cigar between his lips. "Good to hear. After my conversation with her, she will most certainly be trying to meet with us again. She knows we had something to do with Maxwell .

"So it's true then?" Thomas asked, leaning forward in his chair. "Did she actually kill Maxwell, all on her own? How could she had done it all so cleanly?"

"That puzzles me as well." Colton said with a frown. "He said we were to expect such a thing to happen, but I can't help wonder if she had help. Otherworldly  help. But then, that's not possible either. I'm sure Hale would have gone to many lengths to keep that family interest a secret from her."

"Well, whatever help she had, she did the job efficiently." Thomas said. "It's impressive. I expected the police would be on her case the moment the news of Maxwell's death came out.

"A word of warning Thomas." Colton said, sending a puff of smoke into the air. "Never underestimate those Hales. You'll regret it for the rest of your life. I know I did when I first started dealing with Eric Hale. He was a tough one to finish off. Very slippery, even in the end. We had a lot of trouble tracking him and his wife down, but eventually we got them. It was a pleasure to finish him off. "

"But that is in the past." He continued, sending more puffs of smoke from the end of his cigar. "We need to deal with the present. You know what your task is of course?"

"Yes father." Thomas said promptly, "I am to gain Joanne Hale's trust and make closer acquaintance with her. Then, when I receive my orders I am to introduce her to the Amaki, as is the plan."

"Yes." Colton said thickly, biting down on his cigar. "And be sure not to mess this up. You know they do not forgive mistakes."

"Yes father." Thomas said.

"Moving on, see to it that all work of the theater is done by the weekend. I want it up and running by next week."

"Yes father."

"Now, what do you have to report about our progress?"

For the next few minutes, Thomas rattled on about the renovation of the main hall, of the rehearsals being carried out and new actors and directors being hired, of invitations and advertisements being printed. Eventually he was dismissed and sent to pick up the finished invitations. As the young man shut the door of the study and set off down the corridor, he did not notice a swirling mass of smoke materialize behind him before dissolving into nothingness.

***

Joan was well awake and dressed by the time the butler began pounding at her door. Frowning slightly at the sudden noise, Joan went over and wrenched open the door.

"Arnold, what is the meaning of this?" She demanded, looking down at the butler.

"Madam Hale, your presence is required downstairs!" The butler's voice was panicky, despite obvious attempts to stay calm. Joan wondered what could have put such a quiet person like Arnold in such distress.

"Very well then." Joan said as she swept past the man and continued downstairs. Arnold gestured in the direction of one of the main living rooms and she went in to find Rita fussing over an unconscious little girl lying on one of the expensive sofas.