Chapter Four

Amazing cover created by mrjeanfiery.

The fog crept around the mansion, white smoky tendrils reaching out hungrily. The sky was still dark, the dim glow near the horizon indicating the sun's struggle to rise. A dark figure moved about the white mass, barely making a sound as he glided across the dew speckled lawn.

Avander's dark cloak swished over the grass as he took in his surroundings. The cold, dull dawn was very pleasant. Indeed, the bleak atmosphere of the city was enough to lift his mood a little. But only a little.

So many demons to send out and master chose me to serve this pathetic mortal? He fumed. What an insult. If only I could kill the little bitch and be over with this. She is damned anyway. But as hard as it was to resist the temptation, he knew he could do no such thing. His master must have a reason to send him to the girl. He remembered his master's instructions to not harm the girl until he allowed it.

This one is important Avander. Harm her without my consent and you will surely suffer a fate worse than all the damned souls in hell.

Patience. He told himself. Her time will come. Nevertheless, he'd have to bear with her for who knew how long.

His strides carried him towards the entrance to the mansion. He passed through the door; much like a ghost would and continued up the steps. The mansion was silent, the curtain's drawn across the windows and the corridors vacant. It was still early for anyone to be awake, yet Avander sensed movement somewhere in the upper floors. He supposed it must be the mortal girl. He had often found her awake before the sun had even risen, sitting in that study of hers, always doing something.

He made his way past a corridor, gazing at the portraits adorning the walls. He enjoyed observing the mortals and their way of living. It was a slight change from the fires and darkness of hell. The one thing he liked more than torturing souls was watching  humans struggle with their pitiful lives.

He paused in front of a painting depicting a war scene. His eyes swept over the faces of the many humans frozen in their endless battle, face contorted with rage, fear and pain. Corpses littered the field and severed heads stood on the tips of spears, their blood caking the ground.

Avander smiled to himself. Maybe if I am fortunate, I may witness such a thing during my time here. With a swish of his long cloak, he turned and disappeared into the shadows.

***

Pulling another letter towards her, Joan stifled a yawn, turning her attention to the writing before her. Her eyes swept over the page as her hand scratched over another, the quill in between her fingers moving to-and-fro. With a sigh, she put the quill down, shoving the letter away and sinking back into her chair. As she closed her eyes a voice came from behind her.

"Tired mortal?" The demon said and Joan sensed the smirk on his face.

"Are you going to keep lurking all day or will you make yourself useful?"  Joan said without opening her eyes.

It had been almost a week since she had made the deal with the demon's master. Since then the demon had made her mansion his abode. But while they both were residing in the same building, Joan had yet to have a proper conversation with him. She went about her own business and he would lurk. She often came across him striding across the lawns, slinking about the library or just disappearing and reappearing at random intervals. Their mutual dislike for each other was evident. She only put up with him because he was useful to her. She would be glad to be rid of him when his job was done.

The demon smiled his usual, vampire like smile.  He walked past her and picked up the letter.

"Does this have anything to do with my job description?"  He asked, his pale fingers rubbing against the paper.

"In fact, it does." Joan said, opening her eyes. "These are my father's letters to me when I was still at my finishing school. As you can see, he mentioned that he felt his life and that of my mother's was in danger."

"And he turned out to be correct then."  Avander said, his voice bearing no sympathy.

"Yes."  Joan replied. "The culprits have not been apprehended. The authorities closed down the case ages ago. I, on the other hand, am not about to drop the matter just like that." She got up and walked over to him, plucking the letter out of his hands. It surprised Joan how calm and at ease she was when in the presence of a demonic being with powers she had barely begun to comprehend. But then, when you had one lurking about your house for a week, you eventually got used to it.

"That is where you come in." She continued. "I need to find those murders, whoever, wherever they may be.  You will use your abilities to find out who they are and hunt them down. You get their souls for your work."

 "You do know that I cannot devour a human soul without the human in question's consent?"

"Yes, I do." Joan said. "But I will take care of that, don't you worry."

"Good." Avander said with his usual smirk. "But I cannot tell you who the murderers are."

"And why not?" Joan demanded, her voice betraying the annoyance she felt.

"Because I myself do not know." Avander said. "That information is not in my possession."

Joan could feel the anger bubbling inside her. That was one part of the plan down the drain. She felt like throwing something at the demon, who was looking at her with a smug, amused look in his pit like eyes.

She forced herself to control her anger, taking a deep breath and sitting back in her chair, straightening imaginary creases on her dark purple dress. She counted to ten, just like every other time she was angry before turning back to the demon.

"That just lessens your usefulness to me ." She said coldly and she saw something like contempt flash in his eyes. At least she had managed to wound his pride with her comment.

"Very well, it seems we must search for them the old fashioned way." She said.

"We?" Avander arched and eyebrow.

"Yes, We." Joan snapped. "You will be the one to dispose of the murderers and in such a way that evidence does not lead back to me. Do you understand?"

The demon obviously did not look pleased at being ordered about by a mortal, but knowing what he would get for his services was enough to make him comply.

"Perfectly." He said with mysterious smirk, before turning and slipping into the shadows once more.

———————-

Well,here's another chapter. What do you guys think of Avandar so far? Like him or hate him?

As always,i appreciate all comments and feedback from you all and a big thanks to those who have taken the time to read this story,vote on it and comment.

~Annun