Chapter Thirty Five

"What, no reaction?" The man grinned down at her, waiting for her to say something. When Joan stayed silent, staring up at him with a blank look his grin faltered, disappointment flashing in his eyes.

"Nothing?"'He said, grimacing. "Are you fucking kidding me? I told you the Devil sends a message and you just gape at me? Did you even hear what I said?"

"I heard you demon." Joan snapped, taking a few steps and listening to the crunch underneath her boots. The gallery lay in ruins, looking as though an earthquake had hit it. Dead bodies lay scattered around, either sliced in half or crushed beneath heavy chunks of the ceiling.

"Why don't you give me the message already and leave?" She said, crossing her arms and meeting the demon's gaze without wavering.

"What? You're not the least bit curious who I am?' The demon asked, lips twisting into a scowl. "The message can wait; I don't think you realize who you're talking to. If you did, you wouldn't be so unconcerned. I am–"
"Javier." A voice growled and at once, Avander appeared before Joan, shielding her from the demon. "What the hell are you doing here?"
"Thanks for sticking your nose where it doesn't belong Avander." The demon, Javier, said with a sigh, waving his hand. "Just when we were getting to know one another. What's this?" Javier watched as Heidi joined them, taking a stance beside Avander with a serious, mature look on her normally childish face.

"The Godling has decided to join us. What fun." He laughed, the sound echoing across the walls. "Avander, get Heidi away from here." Joan commanded, stepping away from the protective barrier he and Heidi had formed in front of her.

"Are you crazy?' Avander hissed. "This demon is not one you want to mess with. You can't handle him on your own. Heidi and I will take care of it."

"I don't think so." Javier said, wagging a finger. "I think lovely Joan here would prefer to deal with me on her own, after all I am the one who killed her parents."

Joan stiffened, her blood running cold. Something in her stirred, violently clawing on her insides. She stared at the demon, words barely leaving her mouth.

"You killed them?" Her voice came out as a hoarse whisper, as though she did not dare believe it.

This seemed to excite the demon. His maniacal grin grew wider. He chuckled darkly, relishing the tension in the air.

"You heard me." He said. "I was the demon with whose assistance Henry Colton killed your parents, upon Satan's orders of course. I would never for a piece of shit like him. I was the one who made your parents suffer in their last moments. I made them scream and beg for mercy."

Joan had stopped breathing, her body growing still. There was a shadow over her face as she just stood there, hair obscuring it from sight.

"Joan." Heidi spoke her name tentatively.
"Is this true Heidi?' Joan asked suddenly, her face still titled downwards. "Is he really the one?"
"I- yes, yes it is." Heidi admitted truthfully, despite her better judgment. She would not lie to Joan.
"Avander, take Heidi and go." She said her voice low but steely.
"Joan wait–" Avander started but when Joan looked up at him he fell silent. There was anger burring fiercely in her eyes.
"Don't argue with me." She growled. "Get Heidi to safety. I'll handle this bastard in the meantime. That's an order. "
"Joan, please you are letting yourself be influenced again." Heidi pleaded, reaching out to touch the other girl's arm. "Please don't engage him."
"I said don't argue!" Joan's voice had taken on a new tone, vibrating with fury. Avander saw what was happening and grabbed Heidi.

"I need to get you back to safety." He told her.

"But Joan–" Heidi started.
"I'll deal with her when I get back." Avander murmured, glancing at Joan. Already, he could see the faint traces of the dark aura beginning to form around her. "I have my orders. I need to make sure you stay safe." Both he and Heidi disappeared, leaving Joan glowering at the demon.

"Ahh, now that the distractions are out of the way and you and I are alone, we can get down to business." Javier said. He had barely finished his sentence when a slab of the cracked marble floor rose up and came flying at him. He blinked then lazily deflected it aside.