Chapter Twelve

"Colton is dead Sir."

The messenger bowed his head, staring at the floor respectfully as the man he spoke to glanced at him from the shadows of the dark, dimly lit hall they sat in.

Flickering torches in brackets hung from the rough, earthen walls, casting shadows across the room that was bathed in an orange glow. The man on the floor shifted, waiting for his superior to speak, but the tall figure standing at the foot of a stone altar remained silent. There was the slightest clink of steel, the rustle of a cloth. The messenger chanced a glance at the altar, where a pale and gagged woman lay against the cold stone, eyes wide and fearful, flitting from the man to the messenger pleadingly. Occasionally she struggled, withering against the ropes that bound her, but eventually she would grow still, sobbing mutely into the stone instead.

"Pathetic, isn't she?" The other man spoke as the messenger saw him twirl a dagger in gloved hands. "She still tries to plead with me to release her, even when she knows what plan I have for her."

The messenger stayed silent, knowing better than to speak out of turn,

"Now, what were you saying about Colton?" The other man asked. The messenger realized he was standing over directly him. He bowed his head further, looking fixedly at the floor.

"Henry Colton is dead sir." The messenger repeated. "It is just as you wished. Joanne Hale has killed him just like she killed Maxwell. The police say his dead was a case of spontaneous human combustion; however I'm sure you know otherwise."

"Excellent." The other man said with a chuckle. "That girl has certainly surpassed my expectations. This is very good news. "

"Sir, if I may speak." The messenger started. The other man showed no signs of objection so he continued. "Sir, do you think it is a good idea to make contact with Joanne Hale in the near future? I fear she may be a danger to us. You have seen how she has dealt with her enemies. If she were ever to find out–"

"She will not ever find out." The other man cut across. "You forget, we have The Devil on our side. She will never know the truth. The Devil will play her like a pawn and she will fulfill the role we want her to play. She is no danger to us."

The messenger fell silent. The other man took a few steps forward, now standing over the gagged woman. He bent down, running a finger along her bare arm. The woman trembled at his touch.

"What does Thomas have to report about his progress?" The man asked suddenly.

"He has grown acquainted with her sir." The messenger replied. "She may be growing closer to finding us."

The other man chuckled again and, without warning, took a swipe with his dagger at the woman. A dark, jagged wound appeared across her arm and began to bleed heavily. The woman struggled, her muffled scream of pain barely audible behind the gag.

"Javier." The man called loudly, addressing the silent room. "I have your dinner."

One of the shadows on the wall withered and twisted, taking the form of a man. The shadow suddenly began to seem more solid and, all at once, a white haired figure peeled himself away from the wall, looking around with eyes that flashed malevolently in the direction of the woman.

"How nice of you." The white haired young man cackled, prowling towards the still lady like a predator inspecting its prey. A long, pale finger with dark, pointed nails traced the wound on her arm, jabbing into it and deepening it. A tongue flicked out as the man licked his lips at the sight of the blood that poured from the wound. The woman tried to struggle once more against the bonds that held her.

"Perfect..." He purred.

The messenger averted his gaze as the white haired man began to undo the ropes and the gag, letting the woman's arms and legs free. At once, she started to scream for help. In a matter of seconds however the screams for help were replaced by screams of agony. They rebounded and echoed in the empty room. The sounds of ripping flesh and withering bodies followed the screams; sickening the messenger and making him wish he could block it out. As the screams began to die, the messenger was able to hear his superior's words.

"Let Joanne Hale find us." He said, grinning as he watched the woman being ripped apart. "The Amaki will welcome her with open arms."