Chapter Fifty

Dedicated to Dalleena. Check out her amazing story : The Soul Reaver (1) Night of Souls

"No."

Joan was already striding across to where Satan stood when Avander grabbed her by the wrist to pull her back.

"Joan, don't you dare!" He shouted, but she was ready. With surprising force she pulled her to him until they were pressed close.
"Joan is no more." She whispered before she blasted him off his feet. Avander was sent sprawling backwards.

"Stop her!" Gabriel ordered. At once, the angels swept downwards, many a spell spewing from their tongues in hopes of continuing her. But their magic and enchantments proved to be ineffective. With the Devil's power pulsating through her being, she only had to raise her hand and scores of angels were swatted aside like flies. The First Faction were readying themselves for another attack when a single, crescent shaped disc came slicing through the air, leaving a trail of light in its wake. Like a boomerang it arched in Alastair's direction and the pathetic prisoner could only gape wide eyed as it came closer.

There was the sound of wind whistling and the next minute Joan had placed herself in front of the wretched man, blocking the strike with her arm. The glowing crescent dispersed into a million flecks of light and Satan chuckled, gazing up at the sky.
"So the Second Faction decides to grace us with their presence as well."

Many flashes of light announced the arrival of Heleon and his angels, the number of winged, white clad men swelling greatly. Heleon appeared at the head of his own angels, beating slightly crooked wings as he flew down .

"We did not wish to miss out on the fun." Heleon commented dryly. He turned to Gabriel, locking gazes with the other angel.

"While we are not on the same side and our goals differ, however the Second Faction is willing to aid you today. We must not allow the Guide to complete her transformation." He announced reluctantly as took in the surroundings. Gabriel nodded at once, knowing that an alliance would prove useful at such a time. The two angels signaled to their armies, who responded with a heavy flutter of their wings. Today, for the first time in a while there was no First or Second Faction. There was only a single force of Heaven.

"Do you have a plan of sorts?" Heleon turned expectantly towards Gabriel with a brow arched.
"We must capture that man in chains and get him away from the Guide." Gabriel murmured. "Capture only, do not kill. That is the only way we can stop her." Heleon seemed not to like the idea of capturing the man, but he nodded nevertheless. Gabriel had already turned to Avander and Heidi now.

"Can I count on the two of you to keep the Guide away long enough?" He asked.

"Yes." Heidi answered. "No one else should intervene. Avander and I are the only ones who can make her see sense."
"Very well then. Heleon, if you would lead the first attack."

"My pleasure." He smirked, smashing the end of his scythe onto the stone of the ramparts. That action alone sent a thunderous wave rippling through the building, more powerful than any battle cry. There was the sound of steal against leather, the brush of feathers against the swirling wind and hundreds of angels spiraled down as one  magnificent beast.

"This should be interesting." Satan commented, rising into the sky and taking a seat in mid air. He waved a hand at his own army down below, watching with amusement as many shapes took the sky while other bounded across the battle field at breakneck speed. In minutes, snarling demons were swarming around, but they had not rushed forward to engage in a fight just yet. They formed a tight knit circle around Alastair first, closing any gap that existed and making it impossible for anyone to break through and harm the prisoner. They would not allow it, not when he was Joan's to kill.