Chapter Fifty Six

The walk through the pass was mercifully uneventful. It was more of a gorge, rough, vertical mountain sides flanking either side for a short distance. They emerged from the other side a few minutes later, finding themselves on a cliff edge. The ground slopped downwards here on, but it was a gentle dip that led to a wide, nearly flat area in the midst of the towering peaks. The area was almost bowl shaped, a single, surprisingly small mountain commanding centre position amongst its brothers. This mountain, Joan's instincts whispered to her, was where the Sanctuary would appear,

She felt her heart race with a very uncontrollable jolt of excitement and apprehension. Her instincts were raging, whispering to her in a most eerie way. Joan knew that being so close to the Sanctuary would make her powers go haywire, but she had never expected it to be this extreme. She was buzzing, literally shaking where she stood as the hum of her powers nudged her to reveal what had long remained hidden from the world.

And so she did. Joan brought her hands together, resting them against her chest and listening to the Guide instincts. Then, almost as though her were in a trace, she raised both her hands skywards in supplication.

For a few seconds, nothing happened. The wind whistled through her hair and all was silent. No one heard the first of the rocks  roll down the mountain side. No one noticed the snow shift slightly and slide downwards in slow motion. The rumbling came suddenly, exploding out of the serene silence and reaching a deafening crescendo. Rocks and boulders tumbled downwards, each rolling harmlessly by. Then right before everyone's eyes, the first turret began to emerge from the snow.

It was followed by others, towers and other odd structures appearing. A great stone castle topped with stalagmites unearthed itself, growing and growing with each reverberating rumble. It was a magnificent sight, the surface of the castle layered with glistening ice crystals, windows and  towers carved straight from the rock. It was crude, yet beautiful; it's unearthly aura lighting up the snow with a dazzling puzzle of colors. The castle gave a last groan, like an ancient beast awakening from its millennia long slumber. As it stood there, melting out of the mountain side, Joan felt a shudder run down her spine. She had done it. She had found the Sanctuary.

She felt Heidi slip her hand through her own and looked down at the other girl. While she was smiling, there was sorrow etched deeply into her blue irises. With a jolt, Joan realized this was it, this was the last time they would ever see each other.

Heidi gasped suddenly and whipped around. Joan and Avander followed in suit as an all too familiar voice chilled the already frozen air.

"And so at last, the Sanctuary reveals itself."

Before the First Faction army appeared a great black wall, except it was not a wall but hordes of screeching, chattering and snarling demons appearing through the gaps in the mountain side.Joan noticed at once how they completely blocked their way up the mountain, their stance as impenetrable as last time. At the head of the army, completely at ease in the tense atmosphere was Satan, red robe billowing with a gust of icy wind.

"So here we are, standing on the plain of the final battle." He murmured, casting a quick glance at the Sanctuary behind him. "It's a pity, because in any other situation I would have been pleased to lay eyes upon that building. Unfortunately its appearance only spells misfortune for me, which is why," He looked back and smirked, flashing a vampire grin at the gathered army. "I will make it disappear. "

That was all the signal the demons needed. They raised their claws and cracked open their jaws as they rushed at the angels. A portion of the demons at the rear raced up the mountain, no doubt to muster a defense around the Sanctuary and keep the angels from reaching it.