Chapter Thirty One

The snow fell softly as Joan's coach rolled down the busy road. With her hand supporting her chin, she gazed out at the dull and drab city with it coat laden crowds and bustling vehicles. Despite the weather, people were out and about. Joan straightened up as the coach stopped outside a shop and stepped out, not at all bothered by the cold.

As she made her way into the shop, Joan thought she saw a dark shadow dart away out of the corner of her eye. She glanced in the direction the shadow went and saw nothing of interest but a heap of crates and the blur of clothing as people rushed by. She shrugged, putting the occurrence out of her mind and proceeding with what she came to do.

Exiting the shop a while later, Joan did not notice the many pairs of eyes that followed her from every nook and cranny of the still busy street. Her mind was elsewhere, too occupied with personal matters to take note of how those watching her carefully measured her every move, waiting for the moment to strike, to carry out their orders. They let Joan Hale step onto her coach and leave, following after her as was their task.

However, over the day as Joan visited from one place to the other, she became increasingly aware of herself being watched. What unnerved her most was that she could not figure out who was stalking her. Had Avander been with her, she could have the person pinpointed and seized in minutes. The demon however had been ordered to stay at the Manor so he could protect Heidi in case the Second Faction attempted anything. For Joan, Heidi's safety had become more important that her own, a development she blamed upon her Guide instincts.

This is getting out of hand. Joan thought to herself, looking over her shoulder for the umpteenth time that day. Whoever her stalker was, they were hiding in plain sight. That made detection all the more difficult. Eventually, she decided it was best she head home, a part of her curious to see if her stalker would follow her there. But as the coach thundered into the grounds and the heavy iron gates swung shut behind it, Joan felt the tension in the air lift, the feeling of being watched fading away.

"Welcome home Lady Hale." Rita greeted as Joan stepped into the warm threshold of the manor allowing Rita to take her coat. Joan muttered a quick thank you, looking up to see Heidi waiting for her on the staircase with Avander beside her. She waved and beckoned Joan over.

"I thought you had forgotten about our session." She asked Joan as they stepped into her study.
"I'm glad she didn't." Avander said. "I don't think how many more of your stories I could take anymore."
"Oh Avander, don't be like that." Heidi said, patting him on his elbow. "You know you enjoyed that last one, well until the antagonist was killed that is."

Joan glanced at the pair of them with a confused look, wondering what had come over the two of them. She shook her head and brought her train of thought back to the matter at hand.

"There is...something l must inform the two of you." Joan said, sitting down at her desk. At once, both Heidi and Avander became serious, waiting for her to continue. Joan stapled her fingers together, chin resting upon them as she gazed down at her desk top.

"I believe I'm being followed."

Avander's body stiffened, his mouth forming a straight line. "Don't tell me it's those Second Faction bastards again?"

"Could be. Their threats were not hollow ones after all." Joan said calmly. "Lucifer made it clear that they would not accept no for an answer. Even as we speak, the Second Faction could be plotting to attack us. That being said, Avander you are to stay by Heidi's side at all times. I'm charging you with her protection."