Chapter Twenty Nine

The sun had just begun to set as Avander glided down a particularly dark corridor of Hale Manor, looking bored as usual. After the excitement of the previous week, things had suddenly grown quiet and dull. He had hoped that, given the revelation of Joan's identity and the reunion of the Guide and Godling, they would get into battles more often. He was itching to fight, to rip someone's head off. The power he had gained was yearning to break free and destroy everything in its path.

However violence wasn't the only thing on his mind. He had been giving his current situation great thought, pondering over his decision again and again. Had he made the right choice, joining the Godling's side? There was no doubt in his mind that, if Satan ever got his hands on him, he would be in trouble. He had been sent to help corrupt Joan, but had instead switched sides. It was a dangerous thing to anger the Devil , but the prospect freeing himself from the bonds that kept him in Hell was too alluring to ignore. To escape from the servitude of Satan was a great and rare feat. Only two inmates of Hell had managed it, both of whom had joined the ranks of Heaven. But Avander did not desire Heaven, he craved freedom, one that would allow him to roam free on earth and cause as much destruction and suffering as he willed. But for that he would have to help the Godling and play the good guy for the time being.

As he walked, he passed by the maid, who was busy dusting the portraits and humming under her breath. He brushed past her and she instantly straightened up, shudder and quickly scampering away, sensing Avander's unearthly presence. He , watched as she tripped over the hem of her skirts in her haste before moving on. He finally stopped outside the library, only because the door was slightly agar. He poked his head in to see what Joan was up to now, only to find Heidi standing alone by one of the bookshelves, eyes scanning the book spines intently. She registered Avander's presence and looked over at him, her face lighting up with a friendly smile.

"Hello Avander. What are you up to today?" She asked.

"Nothing." He replied dully.

Heidi nodded, before reaching out a hand to grab one of the books, but given her shortness, she was unable to reach it. Even when she stood on the very tips of her toes, Heidi could barley brush the book with her fingers. She glanced at Avander.

"Could you get that one for me please?" She asked sweetly.

Avander frowned, wondering why one of the most powerful being in the universe needed his help to get a book. He trudged over, roughly pulling the book down and thrusting it into her waiting hands.

"Thank you." Heidi said graciously, running a finger over the book's leather cover. The book was old and dusty, looking as though it had not been touched in ages. Heidi blew the dust off and gingerly opened it, smiling pleasantly.

"What are you reading?' Avander asked curiously.

"A fairy tale." Heidi replied. "I was bored and though I might find something to read. I was lucky to come across this old collection of story books. These must have been Joan's."

"Now that's a funny though." Avander said as he tried to imagine Joan reading a fairy tale and gave a snort of amusement. It was a surprise she hadn't burned all those books to crisp already.

"Do you want to read it with me?"

Once more, Avander was thrown by Heidi's strange and childish requests. She certainly had a knack for catching him off guard. He looked down at her with arched eyebrows.

"Read a fairy tale...with you?" He said slowly, as though he himself was still trying to register what she had asked of him. "Are you sure you really are the Godling?"