Chapter Twenty Six

How could this have happened?

It was a question Alastair had not stopped asking himself. Sitting safely in his coach, he clenched and unclenched his fists, staring off into space with an angry and almost fearful expression on his face.

How could she have found out?

The coach shuddered across the bumpy road and inwardly, Alastair was glad he had his coachman on standby for the night. The man had been waiting a short distance away from the Amaki base and, fortunately for Alastair, he had managed to get onto it. He still couldn't believe how close he was to having his soul ripped away from his body.

He assured himself he was safe now, although that did nothing to end his paranoia. If Joan Hale really was obsessed with tracking down every last one of the murderers, Alastair knew that, sooner or later, she would find out he had escaped. If she had managed to survive chanting the soul stealing incantation, he doubted there was any other force in this world or beyond that would stop her from coming after him.

And this thought only made him even more anxious. He had just been in a near death situation, and it had only been keen observation that had saved him. Joan Hale's scheme had been a bold and unexpected one. She had managed to cast a powerful spell known as The Dead Slave, which made the victims of the spell do everything the caster wanted. The spell needed to be chanted continuously, and in such a way that one's victim should not be forewarned. It was obvious now that the girl had made her demon imitate her voice and speak on her behalf, allowing her to mouth the spell without alerting the Elders. Furthermore, Joan's illusion of the younger girl had drawn their attention away from her. Alastair therefore had been fortunate enough to notice how her mouthing did not match her words. Acting quickly, he had cast a protective spell upon himself then pretended as though he had been affected by the spell. When the other Elder's were being consumed by the demon, he had taken the chance and slipped away through a trap door he had purposely positioned himself above. He had then resurfaced a short distance away from the church and fled.

That girl. Alastair thought hatefully, lurching along with the coach as the coachman made haste. How did she cast such a powerful spell? Even the most experienced of magicians do not have enough energy for a spell such as this. Could it be possible that her abilities have been awoken?

But he quickly dismissed the thought, knowing well enough that the Devil had taken measures to prevent that. Had that truly been the case, Joan Hale would not have survived the soul stealing incantation.

That Hale is more trouble than her damned father. Alastair thought bitterly. I may have escaped from her, but how will I face the Master?

The thought had just crossed his mind when there was a shout and the coach came to an abrupt halt, throwing Alastair forward. As the man picked himself up, the coach door was ripped off its hinges. Alastair looked up to see Javier standing before him.

"You!" Alastair held up an accusatory finger at the demon. "Where have you been? You dare not to answer my summons!"

Javier shrugged nonchalantly, a grin on his face. "Do not blame me, I had been strictly ordered by Satan to remain in Hell. Do you think I would ignore a direct order from the Devil himself?"

"What! Why?" Alastair demanded, but the demon simply grabbed him roughly by the front of his robes and hauled him out of the coach. Alastair caught a glimpse of the coachman lying motionlessly on the road. They were right in the middle of the city, yet all the noise did not seem to penetrate the walls of the silent houses.

"Where are you taking me?" Alastair said loudly, trying to free himself from the demon's grip. "I order you Javier, let me go! You are my demon."

"Shut up mortal, before I decide to rip your mouth right off your face." Javier said with a sinister gleam in his yellow, cat like eyes. "You are coming with me. Satan wants to see you."