Chapter Twenty Four

Warning: The following chapter contains scenes of graphic violence.

Two dark shapes rose above the blazing roof top of the church, standing in thin air as if on solid ground. Avander eyed Kavera as the two demons measured each other up, taking their time. There would be plenty of time for violence later.

"Are you sure it was a good idea to leave that human of yours on her own?" Kavera asked sweetly. "I don't think she fully understands who she's dealing with. My human is rather skilled in magic. Things won't end well for her.

"The girl can take care of herself." Avander replied with a smirk. "She's going to give that bastard hell." He meant it. Avander had a nagging feeling that, given the state she was in at that moment, even a demon would have trouble subduing her. He wasn't sure exactly what had come over Joan, although he had his theories. Either way however, he knew he need not bother with her safety.

"How touching." Kavera placed a hand over her heart mockingly. "Alright, do not say I did not warn you beforehand."

"This conversation bores me." Avander said a stoic expression on his face. "Make your move already. I have more important things to do than to listen to your idle prattle."

He certainly did. Although he did not show it, he was increasingly bothered by the fact that he had not been able to locate the missing victim yet. His servants were searching the area far and wide, but there had as of yet been no sign of him. He knew who he was looking for, then why was the search proving unfruitful? How hard was it to find one pathetic human?

"Ladies first?" Kavera's voice brought Avander's attention back to his current situation. A swirling, purple mass of energy took form above her palm. "Such a gentleman."

She launched the pulsating orb at him. As It hurtled towards him it split into multiple copies, each a dangerous buzzing mass of destruction. Unperturbed, Avander only had to raise his hand almost lazily and they deviated from their original path, now turning on their caster. Kavera clicked her fingers and they dissolved before they reached her.

"You've grown stronger." She commented, gazing at her long, pointed nails disinterestedly. "No wonder you serve that mortal."

"How are you here Kavera?" Avander said, ignoring her words. "All those who tried to summon a demon earlier failed. How is it that your human was able to summon you?"

"Like you, I've been in Tom's constant company today." Kavera said with an arched eyebrow. "He summoned me earlier this morning. I haven't returned to Hell since."

A small frown appeared across Avander's brow at this, his mind working furiously as he tried to put the various occurrences of the evening together. The fact that the mortals had been unable to summon their demons had certainly struck him as odd when he had gone about his rampage. He had expected some sort of supernatural resistance at the time. It was strangely convenient how none of the demons had bothered answering their summons; it had certainly made things easier for him. Add that with the girl's strange behavior and the Amaki missing Amaki man and you had only one thing; trouble. There was something going on, and he did not like it.

"It's rude not to give a lady your undivided attention." Kavera said, sending a beam of dark light at Avander, who only had to wave his hand and send it at one of the burning church buildings, barely even blinking as the whole structure disintegrated. No one in the surroundings was aware of the battle that raged there, even though they were not too far from the settlements. Avander had willed it to be that way. No one would notice the ruined church until he had burned the entire place down.

Avander waved a hand lazily, as though beating away a fly and Kavera was sent flying to one side, crashing through the burning brick work. What remained of the structure trembled as Kavera burst from the debris, unharmed. Smoke gathered around her. Then, without warning, slithering, serpent like tendrils of smoke whipped out, wrapping around Avander and tightening. But the demon had nothing to worry about, for not a second later he was free, the smoky bonds dissolving away. This was too easy, and Avander knew why. Kavera was testing him, seeing just how powerful he had become before she got serious about the fight. For his part, Avander was not holding back. He let his energy manifest around him in the form of a dark aura so that the other demon could clearly see what she was dealing with.