Chapter Forty Four

When one of the walls in the throne room was blasted away, all activity ceased and many pairs of eyes watched as the strange group staggered in, their face bathed in the blue glow from the room. Then, after a moment of silence, a heavy pause in which everyone took the chance to get their bearings, Heleon's voice rang out, hoarse and angry.
"No! Get them out of this place!" He shouted at the gathered angels. "Do not allow them to interrupt the ritual."

Avander's eyes found Joan first, her body suspended in mid air with the glowing ribbons passing through her. He felt something stir inside him, a strange wave of emotions that threatened to break free. He was angry, very angry.

"Let's go." He snarled, glancing at Lucifer before rushing forward. His sudden moments caused the angels to respond and they too leapt forward trying to block his path. The remaining group spurred into action as well and in seconds the throne room had become a battle field that would rival the one outside.

Avander weaved past many figures, whether friends or foe he did not know. His gaze was trained on Joan and didn't even blink when he blasted away who ever stood in his path. However, some one grabbed him from behind and yanked him back with surprising force, forcing him to a shadowy corner behind the still standing stone columns.

"Why did you stop me?" Avander demanded, freeing himself from Lucifer's grip and glaring at him.

"I know you want to get here out of there, but rushing in like that will not help." Lucifer admonished. He glanced back past the blurred shapes and wings to the middle of the hall. The commanders stood in place, taking upon themselves the burden of providing fuel to the ritual. Out of the corner of his eyes Avander saw Heidi settle herself in an alcove above, putting her hands together as she worked on breaking the barrier. Avander and Lucifer had gone unnoticed so far.
"What do you mean?" Avander asked, forcing himself to calm down. He found he could not.
"If you try to drag her away from the hold she is in, I can assure you she will die." Lucifer answered grimly.

"Then what the fuck am I supposed to do?" said Avander, feeling the frustration and impatience egging him on to abandon caution. He glanced at her again. She was not moving, not even aware of what was going around her. Just looking at the state she was in made his blood boil, eager to rampage and kill everyone responsible. He did not understand why he felt so strongly, but he was having a hard time controlling it.

"We have to break the enchantments first." Lucifer told him, pointing at the glowing circles.

"I'll take care of that. The commanders will be unable to stop us while the enchantments are at work, but I still need you to fight off anyone who tries to stop me. As soon as the enchantments break, grab the Guide and move. We only have a few minutes before the commanders recover and come after us."

"You better make this quick." Avander muttered as he followed after Lucifer, the two making their way across the hall to where Joan was held.

"Stop them!" Heleon shouted again and at his command Avander saw two angels peel themselves away from the main battle out of the corner of his eye. They were quickly swept aside however by a wave of his hand, their bodies crashing with such force into the stone columns that they became limp. He and Lucifer approached the glowing circles cautiously, Avander's gaze never leaving Joan's face.

"What are you waiting for?" He hissed and Lucifer held out his hands, his palms pressing against the blue lines etched into the floor. He gasped in pain as a column of smoke rose up from where contact was made, his hands burning. But he dared not to remove them.