Chapter Fifty Four

The sight that met Heleon's eyes turned out to be better than expected. As far as he could see, The First Faction had been successfully crippled.

The avalanche his subordinates had caused did its job well. Hundreds upon hundreds of angels lay under the layer of snow. Chances of suffocation were next to none given the high endurance levels of his kind. Still, Heleon was sure quite a number of angels would be injured and plenty dead due to the crushing weight above them. .

But the true aim of the attack had been achieved. Heleon's gaze lifted and went to what had once been the pass. It had been completely blocked by the snow, and while it was only temporary, the First Faction had no route to make their escape just yet.

That left them with only a small area to hold their ground. Already, he could see his target standing exactly where he wanted her. Joan Hale had just stepped into a trap.

The First Faction angels were rising into the air, Gabriel taking the lead. This was only a small fraction of the once great army, the rest were either buried underneath the mounds of snow or frantically helping their comrades. Heleon was far from concerned about the small, albeit strong force of opponents that rose against him. With a wave of his hand a portion of his army detached themselves to meet the enemy, fighting breaking out in mid air.

At another signal from him, a group of angels swept downwards in Joan's direction, surrounding her at once. It took only a casual flick of his hand and Heleon sent the demon and Godling hurtling to one side, leaving the Guide standing alone in the circle of angels. His gaze met hers and saw she was about to spring into action. With a smirk, she stopped her before she could do anything, a sudden glowing wall erupting from the ground followed by three others. They disappeared as soon as they came, but the job was done. As Joan tried to send a crackling sphere of energy at him, it collided with the invisible barrier and split into millions of tiny sparks.

She might have been able to break through the barrier, if it hadn't been for Heleon's final trick. The Second Faction angels still surrounded Joan, caught with her within the confines of the barrier, as was planned. They stood in a circle around her, some taking up the front row while the majority assembled at the back. Heleon murmured something under his breath and glow symbols sprang to life in the snow, an equally shining circle craving itself into the thick white blanket. Heleon saw recognition flash in the Guide's eyes but it was too late. The ribbons of light rose like ghosts and wrapped around her. Soon, there was very little of the struggling human to be seen. Forceful Purification had begun.

Heleon would have carried it out on his own, but with both Erikiel and Alphius captured by the First Faction, he knew his duty was to make sure the ritual went on uninterrupted. It was the best tool the Second Faction had; the only way they could control the Guide. This was why, while he and his army had tailed the First Faction, he had set up the conditions for the Purification at various points along the way, most of them concentrated around the pass once he was sure that was the direction the Guide was headed. It had been a difficult task, but Heleon was unwilling to take risks, not when this was the last chance he had.

Heleon grinned at the sounds of the Guide's scream filling the mountains. He still had not forgotten how she had damaged his wings in their last fight, and thought this to be a most fitting form of retribution, even if she had not be in complete control of herself at that time.

Punish those who are evil and inflict righteous justice upon the wicked. He thought. That is our way. Cleanse Heaven's champion and bring about a new era ruled by the light. Today we shall not fail. Today we shall destroy every last dreg of evil in this world.