Chapter Sixty

Be sure to listen to this awesome music; Sunder. I've been waiting to use it here for ages!

Someone screamed, but it was not Joan. The blade cut through skin and shattered bone, spreading its vile and poisonous energy into the body. But it was not Joan's body it stabbed; it was Avander's.

His blood splattered all over her face. He sunk down, groaning loudly and clutching his midsection. Joan's eyes went wide in disbelieve, the pupils trembling within the whites. She grabbed Avander, lips moving soundlessly as she struggled to process what had happened. His blood trickled into her mouth, the metallic taste jolted her to life and she did the first thing that occurred to her; she screamed.

"Avander!" Her high pitched shrieks echoed around the inner ward, bouncing along the walls in a chorus of shock and sorrow. Forgetting everything, she wrapped her arms around him, holding Avander close. Satan gave a furious snarl and tried to finish the job but a powerful force slammed him back. In flash of feather Heidi cast an impenetrable shield around the three of them, sinking down beside a panic stricken Joan.

"No, no,no! You'll be alright. You'll be okay." Joan stammered, placing her hands on his gaping wound and letting sparks flow. But the moment they touched his skin, the sparks faded, disappearing with a flicker. Joan tried again and again, her clothing soon soaked in Avander's blood, but to no avail. The wound would not heal.

"You'll be fine. You'll be healed in no time." Joan sounded almost hysterical now, cupping Avander's cheek and stroking his hair as he gave another faint groan. She turned to Heidi, the panic and desperation etched onto her face.

"Heidi, you can fix him, can't you?" She asked, plea impregnating her tone. Rather than receiving Heidi's comforting reassurance, the other girl gazed back with tear stained eyes and shook her head.

"I cannot Joan. That attack was too strong for him to survive in his weakened state. He is nearly dead already."

"No! I don't believe you!" Joan shouted, desperation turning into uncontrolled anger. "He will survive. I won't let him die. Please Heidi, you are the Godling. You can–"

She was cut off as Avander clasped a weak hand onto her wrist, turning her attention to him. His eyes were partially open, the dark irises gazing back at her sadly.

"I-I'm sorry Joan. She's right." He whispered the sound barely audible. "I'm dying."

"No, you can't die. You can't." Joan's voice cracked as she leaned down, laying her forehead against his. "Please, not you too.  You can't die after all that has happened, after how far you've come. Please." She kissed him, his lips salty with her river of tears. "I love you Avander. I don't want you to die."

He stroked her cheek, brushing back her hair and tracing a finger along her lips.

"I don't want to either." He murmured, his own voice cracking with grief. "I'm sorry it had to end this way. I'm sorry. I never wanted to leave you. But please Joan, I need you to promise me something."

"Anything." She croaked.

"Promise me you'll never tread on the path of revenge again. Promise me you will never let that part of you take over again. Promise me you'll find happiness, no matter what."
"I promise." Joan stuttered, laying her forehead against his. "I won't let your sacrifice be in vain. Thank you. Thank you for being there."