SIX. (island breakdown)

The rush of adrenaline that was racing through my body made me happy, even though I didn't even really know the four in front of me apart from Sam and unfortunately Rafe, I didn't know anyone on the island

    "Elaine?" Sam called out. "oh shit" I let out, whipping around to find Sam approaching us. "What do you mean oh shit," JJ said, not even paying attention to the fact Sam had shown up.

    "Hey, what are you doing here?" He asked and I smiled, my famous innocent smile. "I came to find you, they were just boating and noticed I was lost. They helped me get here" I said, lying through my teeth, an action I'm sure each of the pogues noticed, though maybe not JJ.

    "Thanks, John B" Sam said, looking behind me to the boy. It was temporary but I froze, not realizing that John B and Sam knew each other.

    "no problem Sam, is this, wait this is your sister?" He asked Sam, looking down at me with a look I couldn't explain.

    "yeah she got in a few days ago, anyways cmon, I'll take you home in the truck. I'm all finished for the day." Sam told me, wrapping an arm around my shoulder.

    I looked back at the group with a confused look and when I did JJ looked up, a smile on his face waving goodbye like a kid which caused me to laugh although I tried to keep it in.

    "One of the rooms was searched by the cops like 10 minutes ago, crazy shit," Sam said and I pretended to act surprised. "really? why?" I asked, looking up at Sam as we separated, getting close to the truck.  "no clue"

    The drive home was quiet, although a good quiet. The windows were rolled down and the light wind felt amazing on my skin. "So how do you know John B?" I asked curiously, turning my head to look at him.

    "I buy him beer, and he lives pretty close to us. He's a good kid," he said, his eyes watching the road. I hummed, looking back out my window, wondering how my brother would feel if he knew how he and I had actually met.

    When we got to the house, Sam went to take a shower and I went to sit in the back. I cleared a few of the smaller branches and cleaned up what I could, leaving the heavier stuff for Sam to take care of.

    I couldn't help but replay the day. I had only been in the motel room a short time. And yet when I thought about it, it felt like we had been together for at least an hour. I loved that feeling, the feeling of being infinite. Having no cares in the world, making a small moment feel like forever.

    When I finished cleaning up, Sam had come outside too. "Can I go ride around?" I asked, helping him carry one of the larger branches over to a pile. "yeah, go ahead" He said, smiling at me as I quickly walked to the house. The board was soon tucked under my arm.

    I didn't even make it down the street before getting stopped. "Laney!" John B called out, I slowed and turned on the board, making my way over to him. Outside the house next to Sam's.