THIRTY FOUR. (i'll see you soon)

"Is she okay? Can she hear me?" That was John B, I could pick out the voice anyway but when I tried to move and open my eyes I couldn't

    "I don't know, but get out of here okay. We gotta get her to the hospital." It was Kiara, she was speaking through cries and all I wanted to do was reach out to her and hug her. I could hear a car door shut and I assumed I was in Kiara's car.

    "I love you" John B's voice was quiet, barely audible and I could pick up that he was next to my face. "ill see you soon," He told me, louder this time. "go, we'll take care of her," Pope reassured the boy and even though I couldn't see it I knew John B had gotten onto the boat.

    The next thing I could hear was a beeping monitor. I tried to open my eyes and the bright light blinded me as I tried. The light beaming down on me overtook my vision and I squinted my eyes in pain.

    "Laney!" Sam let out and I winced, the yelling just a bit too much for my senses at the moment. "I need a nurse or a doctor! My sister is waking up" I heard him yell, and I realized I could open my eyes.

    My eyes fluttered open and I was met with a teary-eyed Sam leaning over me. "oh my god, Laney you scared me" His arms were wrapped around me soon after, his warm body making me sigh in relief.

    "What happened?" I asked, my voice still groggy. "Shoupe brought you in, you were at the boat launch with the pogues, do you remember?" He asked, sitting back in his chair next to my bed, his hand running through my hair.

    "no, I don't remember the boat launch, just going to get the boat" I admitted and Sam nodded. Two nurses and a doctor came into the room and introduced themselves, trying to stay out of the way as they checked on me.

    "So the bad news is you have a pretty bad concussion, and your wrist is broken in two different spots. You also are gonna have some bruising on your neck and some of the blood vessels in your eye popped which is why it might be a bit painful to look around."

    "The good news is, you are going to be just fine, you're a trouper, we can tell. Get some rest okay" The doctor told me and I nodded, I was okay.

    "What happened to you, Laney?" Sam asked, his voice was quiet this time, knowing it had something to do with John B. "Rafe" I got out through my coughing.

    I tried to sit up but was met with pain and dizziness and I laid back down with a whimper. "Hey, it's okay, don't worry," Sam reassured me as he squeezed my hand.

    "so, any updates on John B?" I asked with pleading eyes. I watched as my brother shook his head and I let my eyes shut, leaning my head back completely on the pillow.

    "The storm's really bad, but I think they're still looking, which is good right?" I nodded at his words and he once again sent a squeeze to my good hand.

    When I woke up again I looked around the room scared, and for a moment I forgot where I was but when it all came back I let a tear slip down my face.