TWENTY ONE. (costume party)

"Are they watching the house?" I asked, turning to look at JJ who stood next to me, both of us peering out the window

"Are they watching the house?" I asked, turning to look at JJ who stood next to me, both of us peering out the window. "what the fuck" JJ let out, moving from the window and running his hands through his hair.

    "What are we going to do?" I stated, less as a question and more as a remark.

    "It's probably a trap for John B, we should go find him before someone else does," JJ told me, reaching for his bag that sat on the floor. "yeah, we should" I repeated, both of us heading through my house and out the back door. We crossed to where JJ had put his bike, JJ making room so I could get on behind him.

    I wrapped my arms around JJ's torso, resting my head on his shoulder as he drove down the road, making sure to go around the house completely.

    "You think they can see us?" I asked as I got off, brushing my tangled hair with my fingers. "no, I think we're good. Now we just pray John B comes this way and not around by yours." He let out, leaning against a tree.

    "you hear that?" JJ whispered, looking around for the person belonging to the footsteps he could hear. "yeah" I hummed, following his gaze to the path. JJ's hand grabbed onto my arm pulling me with him behind the tree. Just in case.

    We waited, both peaking around the large tree, watching for the person approaching. JJ let out a breath, catching my attention. It was just John B. JJ put his hand up, signaling me to stay there and wait as he grabbed John B before he could walk by.

    I heard the two grunting, like they were fighting as I moved around the tree. John B on top of JJ fighting him. It only lasted a second until John B realized it was JJ.

    "what are you doing?" He shouted at the boy. "shh" I let out. "Shut up," JJ told the boy, John B's eyes landing on me.

    I watched as JJ covered his mouth and pulled him to where he could see the car. I walked up behind them. JJ pointed to the car, all three of us now watching it. "See that?" JJ asked, turning to look at John B. The three of us stayed crunched over as we talked.

    "they're watching us, okay?"

    "Who?" John B asked and I sighed. "we don't know" I let out and John B half nodded, taking in the information.

    "Let's go. Sneak around to the dock" JJ said and I nodded, following them to the water. The only way to the dock without being seen was to go through the water.

    "you okay getting a little wet princess?" JJ joked, making me scoff.

    "Here," JJ said, holding his hand out to help me. "JJ I don't need help to get into the water" I laughed, walking past him and making my way beside the boys. Wishing now the only option didn't involve swimming in our clothes and shoes.

    "Wait, wait, wait, wait. You got the keys to the Pogue?" JJ asked, stopping slightly. "Yeah," John B answered. We made it past the first bit, running through the weeded part before going into the deep water.