TWENTY NINE. (good luck)

"We're really just going to sit around and do nothing?" I asked, looking around at the pogues and Sarah

"We're really just going to sit around and do nothing?" I asked, looking around at the pogues and Sarah. We were sitting at a table in the wreck.

    "Look, he'll come around, all right? It's, he's doing a JJ thing" John B tried to assure me and when I let out a sigh he got quiet. "you think he'll go home?" Kiara asked, making me look up.

    "There's about a zero percent chance that JJ goes home," Pope said, the boy looking from the window.

    I wasn't sure if Pope was right, even though I had known him for far less than Pope had, going home was something I probably would have done before I decided to run away.

    Pope explained to the group what we could do and we were all listening. His plan was solid and the boy was right, we needed to make sure we found someone who wouldn't screw us over, not again.

    "Okay, so tomorrow morning?" I asked and Pope nodded,

    "Yeah, we have to get this asap, we can't risk losing it," Pope told me.

    "All right, let's do it" John B agreed and we all nodded except for Sarah. "What about the thing with my dad," She asked and I turned my attention to the pair.

    "What thing?" Pope asked, his stance changing.

    "I have to go fishing with Ward," John B said, making the pogues sigh.

    "you can't get four hundred mil 'cause you're gonna go kill fish?" Kiara asked, unimpressed. "blow it off" I suggested and Sarah rolled her eyes.

    "I have to go, okay? He, He saved me, all right? If it weren't for Ward, I'd be in foster care." John B said, his head down.

    "Oh, bullshit!" I said, my burst of emotion making everyone look at me. "That's bullshit and you know it!" I told John B. Before he could try and talk I continued.

     "you know that my brother would have given you a place to stay, you know he would have had your back. Don't sit there and act like Sarah and her family were the only choice. Stop acting like you had no other option because you did, but you chose the Camerons." I let out, standing from my spot and walking out of the restaurant. Kiara got up and followed after me.

    We sat at the edge of the water for a while, just tossing rocks and chatting. I was trying to blow off steam. I knew I probably shouldn't have blown up on the boy like that but he was sitting there acting as if Ward Cameron was this big superhero who saved him when no one else would. And I knew without a doubt that Sam would have taken him in, my brother already treated that kid as family.

    "Kie, can I talk to her alone?" John B's voice was quiet, almost a whisper as he approached. Kiara looked to her side and I nodded. She got up and left the two of us, heading back inside the restaurant with the others.

    "What do you want?" I asked, still not looking away from the water.

    "to talk, and to show you something," He said and his words caught my curiosity. "show me what?" I asked, turning my head slightly, still not looking completely at the boy.