TWELVE. (the next steps)

The room I woke up in felt unfamiliar

The room I woke up in felt unfamiliar. I slowly opened my eyes, barely awake. I took in my surroundings, my eyes scanning the room. It was the Chateau. I couldn't remember falling asleep there. The last thing I could think of was sitting on the dock with the pogues, drinking to going, full kook.

    I let the thoughts of John B and me on the dock flood my mind, replaying the small moment we had. I had no idea why I felt the way I did around him.

    The cold air brushed against my bare skin, my tank top and shorts leaving most of my skin exposed. A small blanket covered me and Kiara who lay sleeping next to me. I shuddered, the air sending shivers down my back.

    I was barely awake when JJ came rushing into the room, yelling about god knows what. "JJ shut up" Kiara whined, grabbing a pillow and shoving it onto her face. I let out a groan, rolling over and planting my face into the pillow as I lay on my stomach.

    JJ somehow took that as a request to jump on us. He flopped onto the bed earning groans from both of us. "JJ get off of us" I yelled, my voice muffled by the pillow. JJ huffed and moved off us but proceeded to grab a pillow we weren't using and attack us with it.

    "We're up!" I yelled, grabbing the pillow from JJ's grasp. The boy stayed for a second but after looking at my expression, started running.

    "How cozy," John B said, exiting his room as JJ zipped past him. Kiara and I looked at each other and laughed, both of us grabbing a pillow and chasing after JJ.

    Eventually, JJ surrendered and we stopped pummelling him with the pillows. Laughs escaped our mouths as we tried to stay serious.

    "So now what?" Pope asked, somehow sleeping through all the screaming that had taken place. I wished I could have been a heavy sleeper after always being woken up when I lived with my parents by their yelling.

    The pogues and I got up, trying to figure out our next steps. We had the map, and Big John's tape, the only thing that seemed to be able to lead us to the gold. I couldn't say much or doubt much of the plan. This was the first time everything was legit.

    JJ let out a loud whistle that caught my attention. She and the pogues were on the boat now, I was laying down soaking up the sun as Kiara sat by me on the edge of the boat. I sat up, and changed my position, looking to see a boat approaching them.

    "You guys see that? That's the Malibu 24-MXZ, the world's finest wake setter. Number one in luxury, quality, and performance. 200K, easy." JJ let out looking at the other boat. I moved to sit by Kiara, my vision following the other boat.

    "We picked the wrong parents," Pope said as he looked at the boat.

    I didn't say anything as the boys geeked over the boat. Kiara seemed to wait and then cleared her throat. "I hate to break it to you guys, but that's Topper and his girlfriend." She told them, watching as I tilted my head, but I fixed my posture when I remembered who Topper was.