FIFTEEN. (only friends)

The sun shone bright from Kiara's blinds and the soft warmth it gave to the room embraced me like a hug

The sun shone bright from Kiara's blinds and the soft warmth it gave to the room embraced me like a hug. It didn't take long for us to wake up, the smell of whatever was being cooked downstairs wafting through the vents.

    "my moms trying to impress you," Kiara mumbled, her sleepiness evident in her voice.

    "What do you mean trying to impress me? Why?" I asked, rubbing my eyes with the bottom of my palms.

    "It's probably because you are one of the first girls I've ever brought over for a sleepover" Kiara admitted, throwing the covers off of herself as she got up, I moved from the bed too.

    I opened up the window as Kiara lit a stick of incense, waving it around the room briefly before carrying it with her as we walked down the stairs.

    "Kiara, I thought I talked to you about those things" Her mother scolded, gesturing to the incense. "I know, I know, open a window" Kiara mocked, before unlatching one of the windows and opening it.

    "Morning girls," Mike greeted as he put a plate of fruit down on the table.

    "Hope you like crepes, mom's specialty" Kiara sing-songed next to me as she set the incense down on the counter. Her mom brought a large plate of crepes in, almost on cue.

    "thank you, Anna," I said, smiling at Kiara's mom as the two of us sat down and pulled the crepes onto our plates. "you're welcome Elaine"

     "it's Laney mom" Kiara corrected her mother, cutting her off in the process.

    "Right, Laney," Anna said before leaving us to eat.

    "so, how do you like my humble abode?" Kiara asked, laughing as she raised her hands, gesturing to the house. "I find it to be particularly pleasant" I joked, and the two of us burst out into laughter.

    "Ya know, your brother told us a lot about you, he talked about you all the time," Kiara said, changing the topic.

    "yeah?" I questioned, my exterior didn't change but I felt like my whole body got lighter as she talked.

    "Yeah, he told John B all these stories about the two of you when you guys were little, honestly we were starting to think you weren't real. He had no pictures, no letters, nothing but then you showed up on the island and ended up at the motel." Kiara explained, a smile forming on my face as she talked about the day at the motel, it was then that I had met the pogues. It still didn't feel like that day was only 5 days prior.

    We didn't take long to finish up our food and by the time we had a familiar tan-coloured van had pulled up outside. A few honks were heard and Kiara opened the door, yelling at the boys to give us a minute.

    We ran up to Kiara's room, the brunette girl searching through her drawers for something to wear. Our clothes from the night before were still wet.