FOURTEEN. (midnight swimming)

I watched Kiara from the passenger side, I smiled to myself and looked down

I watched Kiara from the passenger side, I smiled to myself and looked down. I had found the group of people I never thought I would.

    I wasn't an insecure person, in fact, I was ridiculously confident in most areas, the exception being romance. I had many flings, and a one-night stand or two. I definitely wasn't inexperienced in relationships but when it came to a crush or someone I actually like now, I shut down. So I decided to distance myself from the person because it's how I kept from getting hurt.

    I never really opened myself up to people before, my trust and true friendship were hard to earn, and very easy to lose.

    I had seen friendships like the pogues on tv shows and movies and I always wondered if it were true, if there really were friendships that were that strong. I had tons of friends, but I didn't really think I had any friends back in Arizona that would go on a glorified treasure hunt with me. I guessed I had found that with the pogues.

    Kiara and I decided to meet back up with the boys and head over to the wreck to get something to eat. The sun had completely set and the stars were shining in the sky. I loved watching the stars when I was younger.

    "what I would do to a beer and shrimp and grits right now" JJ let out as we got there, all of us getting out of the van. "It would not be pretty," Pope added as he shut the doors.

    Kiara walked over to me and linked her arms with mine, sending me a smile as we walked up the steps. The two of us entered the restaurant together. "hey dad" She said, and I looked up at her dad, a smile etched onto my face.

    "This is Sam's younger sister Laney," She told her dad and he smiled down at me. "Hi, Laney, nice to meet you"

    "Nice to meet you too" I greeted him before Kiara signaled to a table.

    "So how's it going?" Kiara asked her dad, walking down the bar to the opening at the counter. I continued walking, the boys close to me. "So hungry," JJ mumbled, earning a laugh from me.

    Kiara talked to her dad another minute before turning to look at us. "sit down" She told us and JJ let out a breath as if he was waiting for hours to hear that.

    I sat with the boys, picking fries out of one of the baskets on the table. I cringed as I watched the boys stuff their faces with food. JJ and John B throwing fries across the table at each other. JJ even went as far as to pick up one of the fries from the ground and eat it.

    "JJ that is disgusting," I said to the boy, scrunching up my face as he shrugged and continued to eat.

    "Here princess" JJ said before tossing me a fry. I laughed as I caught it in my mouth, the boys hollering from around me.

    I couldn't remember the last time I laughed this much with a group of friends, most of my friends back in Arizona just drank. And while I was usually the one that got the drunkest or the one that was doing drugs, nothing that we did would've been very fun if we were sober. And I was sober, soaking up every minute I spent with the pogues here.