TWENTY SIX. (jj's cousin's cripple)

It had been a long night, a night which resulted in Kiara staying over at Sam's

It had been a long night, a night which resulted in Kiara staying over at Sam's. We were mentally exhausted and we really didn't know how we would react to Sarah coming along with everything.

    Part of me wanted John B to look me in the eyes and tell me he chose Sarah over me and over Kiara but it would break me, completely.

    "We should build a blanket fort" I suggested and when Kiara laughed and agreed I smiled for the first time since finding the gold. We didn't even notice Sam came in before he left to get us more blankets and pillows.

    "Me and Bianca used to build forts all the time. I remember the first time we built one was when the power went out, we were still kids then but it became our thing after that." I told Kiara and the girl sadly smiled back at me.

    "cmon, let's get some food. I am starving" I let out, both of us laughing as we ran toward the truck in the driveway.

    "So what happened between you and Sarah?" I asked, turning my head and looking at Kiara in the passenger seat. "freshman year, it was my first year at the kook academy. It was so intimidating. I was alone, I had no friends there. And one of these things is obviously not like the other. I mean, I didn't have anything in common with anyone. I was miserable" Kiara paused, taking a second to compose herself.

    "Just as I'm about to slit my wrists, the queen asks me if I wanna go save baby sea turtles. On our first day together we walked to the beach, we waited for the hatch and we kept the seagulls off. So that the turtles could get to the water. I just remember thinking that I had found this person that I would always have, like we were going to be best friends." I nodded as I turned into the parking lot of the Wreck.

    "Hi sweetheart, hi Elaine" Kiara's dad greeted as we walked in, it was late and the restaurant was nearly empty. "I'll bring some food out in a minute, go sit down," He told us and we smiled, quickly thanking him.

    When we sat down, Kiara continued. "We got close, she was literally my only friend. I hung around her and the kooks a bit, but it was only her that I was actually friends with. Then in tenth grade, she ghosted me, didn't invite me to her party, and just left. Completely disappeared and turned on me. She was rude and she didn't stop her friends from being the same way to me." Kiara let out a sigh.

    "What a bitch" I said and Kiara laughed, agreeing with me. "Here you are ladies," Mike said as he rounded our table and placed down two plates of food.

    "Have a good night" He kissed Kiara's head before excusing himself and heading back to the kitchen.

    We stayed for a while longer, finishing our food and just talking. It felt so natural for us to just be with each other and I was grateful for that. When I got to the island I wasn't sure if I'd even want to stay. I didn't want to get attached to anything but then I met the pogues.

    By the time we had left and driven back to the house, got inside, put on a movie, and fell asleep the sun was already beginning to rise. We hadn't expected to be woken up in the afternoon by Pope banging loudly on the door.