TWENTY. (second nature)

Sam and I sat in silence as we drove from Heyward's to the house

Sam and I sat in silence as we drove from Heyward's to the house. Sam was still upset that I wouldn't tell him how I broke my wrist and I was just upset he kept pressing on the topic. Couldn't he tell I didn't want to talk about it?

    I watched out the window, waiting for something although I knew nothing would come. Sam and I didn't stay long with Kiara. Mostly just enough time to get caught up to speed on what had happened. Kiara tried to explain it as best as she could but even she wasn't completely sure what the hell was happening.

    Like the day before, I spent most of my time in my room once I got back. My mind wandered to JJ. Over the past few days, since going to the junkyard he had told me a bit. Other parts I inferred for myself.

    It was later in the day now, the cool morning breeze breaking away, the still-warm air taking its place. I sat in front of my closet, thinking. I knew that if Bianca was here with me she'd be upset I had spent such a beautiful day inside.

    "What am I going to do with you?" Her soft voice would say, a hum to her words. "oh so what if I spend a day inside for a change" I would argue, leaning my head back onto the girl's lap. Bianca's fingers laced through my hair.

    "It's not like you" She'd reply, her hands resting on my neck now. I could almost feel it on my skin. I sat by the bed, my head leaning back onto it. Oh, how I missed her girl.

    "What would you suggest I do? There's not much right now" I would say, a laugh lacing my words. She'd lean over to make eye contact with me. "kiss me" She'd say, and I would listen. Would turn my body and bring the girl's face to mine, kissing her gently.

    My eyes stayed closed, thinking about what it would feel like to have her there now. A tear slipped down my cheek, and my hand quickly pushed away. I focused back on Bianca and me, I was happy there.

    "What now?" I would ask, looking toward the girl. Bianca would smile and turn to look at me. She'd leaned forward and place a kiss on my lips before abruptly stopping and getting up. "chase me" She would playfully say before racing out the door and down the hall.

    I had gotten up, but the sound of a revving bike caught my attention. It stirred me from my thoughts and when I opened my eyes, the door was still closed. Bianca had not run down the hall, and she hadn't been there with me.

    My eyes fell to the window and I stood, squinting at the boy on the bike. I opened my window when he began down the path that separated John B and Sam's yards.

    "JJ?" I called out, watching as the boy stopped and turned, his attention on me now. My attention fell to his battered and bruised face, shock surely washing over my face.

    "Here, come inside I'll help you clean up" I let out, the only thing I could think to say to him. He nodded before approaching my window and climbing through.