THIRTY THREE. (sweetheart)

The stiffness of my back was enough to make me regret sleeping on the booth bench

The stiffness of my back was enough to make me regret sleeping on the booth bench. I tried to stretch out, letting out a yawn as I did. I couldn't deny that I slept okay but at that moment I told myself I'd never sleep on a restaurant booth seat ever again, that is of course if it was never necessary.

    I was still tired but when I heard the revving engine outside I sat up, the restaurant being empty. I got up, wiping my eyes as I walked to the door. JJ turned at my presence and smiled, but I focused on Kiara as the girl yelled at Pope. "I'm trying to talk to you!" She yelled in desperation but the boy ignored her and sped off.

    "What happened?" I whispered, leaning into JJ's side. The boy chuckled before shrugging. "no clue" He told me, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. I looked up at the sound of helicopter blades whirring, confusion spreading throughout the three of us. We watched as the helicopter passed right above us.

    "who's that?" JJ asked, and each of us shared a look. "that's a good sign, right? It means he hasn't been found, right?" My question was more of a plea as I looked between the two, the last bit of hope ready to leave my eyes.

    "Yeah," Kiara reassured me, walking up the steps to hug me.

    I was distracted as I loaded some of the produce into the box, the sound around me drowned out by my panicked thoughts. I couldn't help him and I felt hopeless.

    "You sure he wasn't just being weird Pope?" JJ asked, taking the jar from my hands and packing it. "it wasn't really the kind of thing that needed interpretation" Kiara responded, stepping over with a loaf of bread.

    "Is that enough food for them?" Kiara asked and I looked up.

    "them?" I questioned, looking at JJ beside me whose face dropped. "uh, Sarah and John B" Kiara clarified, looking at me with sad eyes. "right" I nodded, looking away from the two.

    "but uh, yeah this should be enough food for a couple of weeks." JJ confirmed, grabbing the bag and swinging it onto his shoulder.

    "Look I think I really hurt his feelings," Kiara said, changing the subject back to her and Pope. "Well he is like in love with you," I told her as I looked back at the two.

    "I hate to admit it but I miss the old Pope" Kiara voiced as we walked out of the restaurant. "at least I knew what to expect from him" She let out, and before I could register what was happening, Anna, Kiara's mom ran up.

    "Where have you been?" Anna asked, looking at her daughter. "uh, I'm fine. We slept here" Kiara explained. I turned away, grabbing the box from JJ's hands and loading it into Kiara's car.

    "what the hell are you three up to?" Anna looked between us, landing back on her daughter. "I'm sorry, Miss Anna, we gotta go," JJ said and he and I backed away, rounding the car to get in.

    "no, I'm sorry. Absolutely not, have you heard what's going on?" Anna's words were filled with a worried tone but Kiara couldn't not do this.

    "This is not safe, these cops are armed Kiara. You gonna get yourself shot" Her mom was practically begging her not to go. "Mom, John B needs me!" Kiara yelled at her mom.