SIXTEEN. (the start of nothing)

The dread that was spreading through my veins was enough to keep me from sleeping any longer, that or maybe it was the fact that JJ was shoved against me, his warm breath staying on my face

The dread that was spreading through my veins was enough to keep me from sleeping any longer, that or maybe it was the fact that JJ was shoved against me, his warm breath staying on my face. I moved my head, peeking around at the pogues. Great, no one was up.

    I didn't want to wake anyone up, I tried to go back to sleep myself but I was failing, big time. The sun was rising so there was no longer the dark that tricked my mind into being tired. Truth was, I had slept great. I'd never admit it though.

    I almost wished the weather would be terrible today so the pogues would have no choice but not to go, although I figured it was unlikely. I just hoped that they would find it, for John B's sake. I had no idea what would happen if they didn't, how put down he'd feel. I wasn't close enough to him to be able to tell how he'd react to it.

    I knew that they'd probably want to go early, their best chance at beating any weather that may come as the afternoon heads into the night. I also knew if Sam wasn't already up, he would be soon. He was the biggest early riser I had ever met, he was always up and ready early. Something about it making him more productive. I couldn't tell if it worked or not though.

    The sky was a beautiful mixture of orange and yellow, the sun barely up yet. Truthfully, I loved the sunrise but I always seemed to see sundown instead, never having the energy to actually get up early enough to see the sunrise, for the sky to go from dark to light.

    When JJ started to shift next to me I almost let out a sad sigh, not ready to leave this moment. I had spent the last two days with the pogues, it just felt right when I was with them. The gold hunt didn't hurt either, the whole thing curing my hunger for adventure.

    I wasn't sure if I wanted to go back to normal life, even for just a day. I was so caught up in the pogues and as I thought about it it made me want to run for the hills. Less than a week was too little time for me to get attached.

    I let out a breath and moved from my spot, slowing as JJ shifted. I stopped, waiting for him to go back to bed before I booked it, running from John B's lawn to Sam's.

    This couldn't be happening. I didn't let myself get attached. Not again.

    The door was unlocked and as I turned the handle I was greeted with soft music playing. Sam was already up, almost guaranteed he was already cleaning up. And as I turned the corner to the kitchen my thoughts were confirmed, there Sam was cleaning. Although he wasn't alone, a boy stood next to him talking.

    I assumed I hadn't been noticed yet so I stilled, standing back a bit as I listened to them talk. "so, are you going to tell her?" The guy asked, I didn't recognize him.

    I didn't know if I liked the idea of spying on my brother but this conversation seemed too good to not listen to. "I told you, i'll tell her. I just don't know when. She isn't a homebody, she's almost never here." So the conversation was about me.