THIRTY ONE. (the ferry)

The light blaring onto the patio of the house and subsequently into my eyes woke me up for the third time that day

The light blaring onto the patio of the house and subsequently into my eyes woke me up for the third time that day. I squinted, looking around confused until I put it together in my head.

    "You don't know what? That you're gonna break up with her?"

     "Yeah"

    His voice swarmed my head, playing over and over. I sat up in the chair and looked down at my arm, John B's bandana still tied around it. I let out a sigh as I tipped my head back, and when I rubbed my face with my hands I could feel the dried tears.

    I felt so stupid for falling for him so fast, and even more stupid for letting myself kiss him at the church. Putting aside the horrible fact that he technically wasn't, isn't, single, I was so incredibly stupid for believing him when he said he wanted to be with me.

    I couldn't deny that part of what made me fall for John B was the rush and excitement, but the night we thought we had lost it all, I was still just as into him as I was when we were searching for gold.

    "hey. It's already the afternoon, do you want something to eat?" Sam's voice came from the doorway and I watched as he sadly smiled at me, offering me a coffee from the wreck. "Thank you and no, I'm fine." My voice was quiet. Sam sat next to me on another one of the chairs we had.

    "you wanna talk about it?" He asked and when I turned to him, I bit my check. "not really but can you just stay here with me?" I asked,

    "mhm," He hummed in agreement, taking a sip of his coffee.

    The two of us sat in silence for some time, just watching the waves from the water and drinking our coffee. I watched Sam reach over to the box on the patio and I turned my head, trying to see what he was grabbing.

    When he pulled out the blanket I couldn't help but smile, thanking him as I took the blanket from his hands. It was a chilly morning and I welcomed the warmth the blanket provided me.

    The view from the patio of John B's dock wasn't very clear but I did notice Pope running towards it. I furrowed my brows and watched as he did.

    "What?" Sam asked curiously, following my eyes to John B's deck. "oh" He let out, sitting back and taking another drink from his cup. I sat back too, deciding that it was all just a bit too much for me right then.

    I still kept my gaze on the house, watching John B's van pull from his house and race away from Sam's. I couldn't lie and say it didn't hurt. I took heavy breaths as I got more and more upset. John B's words played on repeat no matter how much I tried to stop them.

    I stood from my spot and rushed into the house, Sam followed after me and watched as I ripped off my wrist splint, throwing it. "Hey, you're not supposed to take that off!" He yelled at me, picking up the object from the floor and then following my repeated steps out of the door and to the patio.