ELEVEN. (pogue status)

Adrenaline was pumping through our veins, the rush still racing through our bones

Adrenaline was pumping through our veins, the rush still racing through our bones. We all were eager to see what was in the envelope, though none more than John B.

    I wondered if the envelope really held much, I hoped it had and not only because John B dragged me from my room to do this. John B knew it was from his dad, I believed it I just was skeptical. John B took this as a sign he was alive, I figured it was just something he left.

    I stood next to JJ by the counter watching as he grabbed a bag of old bread that was now moldy. The thought of JJ even touching it made me cringe but I watched him smear some jam on it. I felt myself gag, he was going to eat it. I made a disgusted face at the boy, hoping he'd have the common sense to throw it out.

    "That bread had mold on it three days ago," Pope said to him. "I'll just pull off the bad parts. Plus, mold is good for you. It's just a natural organism." JJ said, shrugging his shoulders, finishing making his sandwich and walking past me.

    "that is fucking disgusting you know that right?" I said, my face twisting as he shrugged his shoulders again.

    "JJ!" Kie called out.

    "-Yup, yup, yup! Hot damn! Let's do it." JJ said, walking over to the table.

    I watched in disgust as JJ proceeded to take a bite of the moldy sandwich he made, although I laughed as soon as he gagged and spat his bite into his hands. The piece was still whole, it hadn't been chewed much. And for some reason, the sandwich stayed in his grip.

    "Holy shit." John B let out unfolding a map. "Oh. X marks the spot." Pope said taking a look. All five of us looked at the map trying to make sense of it. " Longitude, latitude. Wait, there's something else in there." John B said, reaching his hand in the bag and pulling out a tape recorder.

    "What's that?" JJ said, looking at it.

    "It's a tape recorder, dumbass," Kiara let out looking at the boy. JJ  sat back down, the tape becoming uninteresting to him now. He picked up the sandwich and brought it to his mouth, about to take another bite. I rolled my eyes and grabbed the bread from his hands, throwing it in the trash can next to us. I hit him in the back of his head as I sat down.

    "dumbass" I murmured under my breath.

    I focused back on John B, he was about to press the side and play the tape. My full attention went to listening to whatever came out. "Dear Bird." A man's voice filled the room. I let out a breath and my gaze focused on John B.

    "Who's Bird?" JJ asked.

    "That's what my dad called me." John B said, looking back at me. "I hate to say, "I told you so,' but I told you so. And you doubted your old man. I suspect at this moment, you're filled with guilt and self-loathing over our last fight, but don't kill yourself just yet, kid. I didn't expect to find the Merchant either." We all shared a look.