Chapter 17

Ben wakes up, to Ship licking his cheek, trying to get him up. Ben pets Ships head, indicating Ben has awaken from his slumber.

He sits up on his bed, petting Shop to pass some extra time. Ship barks in happiness. Ben finally gets up from his bed, and heads to the bathroom.

He rinses his face with cold water and face wash. He turns the water on, in the shower. He waits for it to warm up. He takes off his pajamas, and steps in the shower.

He lets the warm water hit and go down his body, letting all the memories go through his mind. Not wanting to go through that again he shakes his head and focus on now.

He grabs the shampoo and squirts it in his hand, about a giant quarter size. He runs his hands together, and rubs his hands through his shaggy brown hair. He waits a minute and then he rinses his hair through the water. He then does the same with conditioner.

He turns off the water and steps out, he puts a towel around his waist. He grabs his clothes and puts them on. He's now wearing his hero suit and armor. He puts his domino mask on.

He heads out of the room, and to the kitchen. He makes some toast, and spreads some peanut butter on it once it's toasted. He takes a bite and chews on it, as he watches Batman walk by and into the kitchen with him. He grabs a fruit and takes a bite out of it.

    After a few moments of silence, Batman speaks up. "I wasn't expecting to see you, at the Hall of Justice to meet the team."

    Ben chews on his last piece of toast before speaking. "I was there but I had to take care of some Dnaliens that were building a weather tower and then I got your message about Wotan."

   "Then I'll catch you up. Speedy or now Red Arrow has gone independent, and you know the other three have teamed up and formed the team along with Superboy, the clone of Superman and Miss Martian, Manhunter niece has joined them." Batman explains what happened that day.

    "They're the covert team, that's base is at Mt. Justice or the cave, right?" Ben asks

   "Correct." Batman responds

   "So is Speedy or I guess he's going by Red Arrow now, going to join the league?" Ben asks

     "I don't think so, he seems to be going independent and have nothing to do with the league." Batman answers. "Green Arrow is also getting a new protégé. Her name is Artmis, she'll join the team later."

    "Why are you telling me this?" Ben asks, knowing Batman needs something from him.

   "I think it's best if the team had a league member watching them just in case something goes wrong and they're not strong enough to take care of it." Batman says, knowing he won't be able to stall any longer.

   "Why me? You got Canary training them, and Red Tornado watching them in the cave. Why do they need me?" Ben asks, not wanting to admit he's scared.

   "Ben. Your scared. You don't want to go through the pain again like you did last year. I'm not excepting an answer today but give it some thought." Batman says gently.

    Batman heads out of the kitchen, leaving Ben alone to his thoughts. Ben heads back to his room, thinking about Batman's words.

   'Was he scared? Did he want to join the team? Is he ready to make friends who are also hero's?' So many thoughts went through Ben's mind.

   He admits he was scared. He just got over his family's and friends death, and he didn't want to go through something like that again.

    Ben picks up Ship and grabs his hoverboard. He walks out heading to the zeta-tubes. There he sees Batman, Superman and Green Arrow. He walks up to them confused.