Chapter 37

A shadow glides over the moon, heading towards Earth, the shadow is from a massive ship that is deep blue in color with red spots, largely in the shape of a turnip with roots still attached.

There is a clash of light from the East Coast of the US, where the two Green Lanterns and the BatPlane breach the atmosphere to meet the ship.

"Deploying camera-sensor units." Batman says with a push of a button. Two small proves released from the plane, watching as the plane and the lanterns continues to approach the ship.

"Attention." John Stewart says. "You have entered the boundaries of Earth space. Disengage all weapons and engines. This is your final warning."

For a moment nothing happens, u til there is a whirring from the red port in front of them as it lights up and shoots a beam at them.

The two lanterns get their shields up, but the beam persists and shatters the spheres, turning them into skeletons before that too disappears in a flash.

The beam shuts off and the BatPlane makes its approach. "Code Red. Full offensive deploy."

The bay door opens to reveal Superman, Captain Marvel, Captain Atom and Martin Manhunter. All four wearing oxygen masks as they fly towards the ship.

The beam from the ship fires again, all the leaguers remain calm and avoid the beam, which splits in two following the pairs of flying leaguers.

Superman and Martin Manhunter are caught in the beam that is following them, followed quickly by Captain Atom and Marvel.

The beam is fired at the BatPlane, but Batman ejects before it explodes. From his smaller plane, he sees smaller ships being released on the planet below. One of the smaller planes, which dwarfs the size of Barnes pod, approaches him, and fires an identical laser at the dark Knight.
••••••••••••••••••••••••
Red Tornado and Ben watches the screen in the center of the training space, turning to a second screen as another transmission comes trough.

It's  Zatara. "Tornado, Omni, did you-" he cuts himself off, unable to get himself to say it despite his low and worried tone.

"Yeah, we saw it." Ben says, and the team stands resolutely behind them, already suited up.

"Celestial defenses have failed. Initiate all terrestrial measures. Red Tornado said.

"Affirmative. See you in the field." Zatara responds and signs off.

Tornado and Ben turn to the team. "We must join the league. We will protect the planet at all costs. But should we fail, the responsibility falls to you." Tornado says.

Kaldur makes a cursory glance at the team before looking resolutely at Tornado. "We stand ready."

Ben hands Ship to Wally. "Watch him while I'm gone." He says before catching up to Tornado.
••••••••••••••••••••••••
Ben was helping people get out of the streets and into a safe building with the help of Captain Marvel.

"Captain look out!" Ben called out to his friend as he sees a beam shooting towards him.

Captain Marvel turns around but was too late to dodge it and was taken out.

Another beam came straight towards Ben. He looked behind him and there was a little girl frozen in place.

He pushed her out of the way as the beam hit him, making him disappear as well.
•••••••••••••••••••••••
The team watches five screens of defeat from within the mountain.