Chapter 20

Cheshire slashes again at Aqualad, who is keeping the doctor behind his Water-bearers and body. In retaliation, he strikes as her head, which she ducks under and she once again slices at his core, which he jumps back from. She fakes a high roundhouse and gets both her legs over Aqualad's shoulders and yanks him to the ground with an "oof".

Roquette watches the fight like a tennis match.

Cheshire throws her shuriken at the bystander, forcing Aqualad to turn his sword into a whip to change the trajectory of the sai. Though it still lands mere inches from her face, finally getting her to move and jump back with a yelp.

"Almost." Cheshire mutters, as both she and Aqualad stand up, his Water-bearer becoming a sword once more as she a knife from her hiding place. "Poison slowing you down?" she asks as he strikes with both swords once more.

"Jellyfish toxin, I'm largely immune." he tells her, getting her face.

She uses it to her advantage and headbutts him. Giving him all the pain and her none, despite the height difference, due to her mask being what makes contact. Knocking him to the ground and both his Water-bearers out of his hands.

"Largely." she agrees, raising her sai. Only for it to be shot out of her hand. Turning to find Artemis already prepared with another arrow.

"Don't. Move." Artemis states slowly.

   Cheshire chuckles, hearing Aqualad get back to his feet and bear his swords behind her since she's been watching Artemis step closer to her. "This gig's getting interesting." she brings out a singlehanded collapsible sword. Standing ready for Artemis.

Who releases the arrows in rapid succession, however Cheshire slices through them, nearly in half every time.

Miss Martian and Kid Flash enter the door and find Doctor Roquette standing in stunned shock as arrow halves fall at her feet. Artemis pauses upon seeing them. Which is what prompts Cheshire to look as well. Now finding herself outnumbered four to one.

"Maybe a little too interesting." she admits as Artemis knocks another arrow. She deflects it and drops a flash grenade.

Kid Flash jumps through the smoke, hitting nothing and stumbling right into Artemis' arms. Both of them bumping foreheads. Shocked to find them so close together, and practically sharing breaths, he stumbles back with his eyes wide. Then looks to the now empty space. "Gone." he grunts.

"She's getting away! You're letting her get away!" Roquette yells at Aqualad.

"This was all your fault. You were on the perimeter! How'd that Shadow get in?" Kid demands of Artemis, who boldly stands before him.

Her eyes merely narrow at him, but enough to make anyone's skin crawl.

"That's not really fair." Miss Martian says calmly, walking up to them. "I was outside too."

"Outside being distracted by her." he retaliates. "Besides I can't be mad at you." his tone gone flirtatious and almost sweet as he changes who he's defending. "You gave me mouth-to-mouth."

   Miss Martian's eyes go wide, realizing something he hasn't yet. "We heard that!" Artemis snaps angrily, while even Aqualad seems annoyed.

Kid Flash turns and walks away, dropping his head. "Dang it!" he gripes. Giving Miss Martian and Artemis the ability to talk without him separating them.

She gives the newest member a genuine smile. "I didn't do half as well in my first battle," she offers, even placing her hand on Artemis' shoulder in an attempt to increase her comfort by offering it physically. "and I know you can't have been Green Arrow's sidekick for very long."