× two ×

Judas

×××

The Head Alpha's office was just as tidy and impeccable as it lived in Taehyung's memories. The books lined up side by side with ruler precision on the bookshelf, not a single dust ruining the perfect sight. 

The huge oak table, which was located in the middle and occupied pretty much almost the entire room, shone brightly from sanitation. The items were placed on it just like they used to. Nothing has changed in the dark office except its owner. 

Those eight long years were visible on the pack leader, weaving silver threads into his ebony hair and gathering wrinkles in the corners of his dark eyes. His skin also sagged and as he leaned back in his huge black leather chair, intertwining his hands, Taehyung noticed some tiny liver dots on his skin. Time has changed the man and not the beautiful way.

The man's sharp eyes didn't leave Taehyung for a single second, leaving a nervous feeling inside the boy. 

After leaving Jimin and Yoongi behind to start looking for the omega, he noted in amazement that the one he was looking for was none other than Jungkook. And everyone except him seemed to be aware of that. 

Taehyung was unable to comprehend. Jungkook came from a purebred alpha family, with only alphas among their ancestors for decades. How did he become an omega? 

Sadly, he didn't get a chance to ask him because as soon as the Head Alpha noticed him, he took Taehyung by the arm and dragged him to his office.

And here he was, face to face with a man who didn't seem to be pleased to see him again. If Taehyung wanted to be honest he imagined his return completely differently. With less shocking surprises and more welcoming friends. The Head Alpha looked rather pissed than happy.

"So Taehyung," he finally spoke up, his voice deep and crackling just like in his memories. He reached out to a pile of papers and pulled out a white envelope. Taehyung recognized his own messy handwriting immediately. "I got your letter about coming home but I didn't expect you to arrive so soon."

There was something about the way he spoke that left an unpleasant taste in Taehyung's mouth. It was as if he wasn't happy to see him again. Though Taehyung remembered clearly when they separated, the man cried. 

Then, when Taehyung almost thought that he was mad at him, the corner of his mouth twitched into a wide grin. It deepened the wrinkles around his eyes. "I'm glad you got back safely. How was your training? Bang Sihyuk said that your performance was outstanding and you progressed pretty quickly. How are you feeling?"

The sudden change of mood took the boy by surprise. He blinked a couple of times before he hesitantly smiled back. "Great...?"

The Head Alpha nodded. "So it was worth it."

Taehyung was not so sure about that. When at the age of 12 he was examined - like every other werewolf - and turned out to be one of the handfuls of alphas so strong that they are referred to as truebloods, he would not have thought that it would also involve sending him to the middle of nowhere to live with an old hermit. 

He trained with him for 8 years. It wasn't that bad at first. Although he missed his friends and the pack, he knew it would benefit him. At least that's what everyone told him, including the Head Alpha and the weird hermit, with whom he eventually spent his entire teens locked up. But doesn't matter how many times he was told he needs this, those eight years, to put it mildly, was an exaggeration. 

He successfully mastered controlling his powers in the first two or three years. He didn't learn anything new for the rest of the time but Bang Sihyun insisted that it was necessary for him to stay. So he stayed.