× twenty-one ×

Truebloods

×××

Taehyung fought with his tears as his mouth fell open and an enormous yawn left his throat. Almost the entire pack was in the foreground, waiting for the well-known Bae Hyungsik and his famously pretty omega daughter to finally arrive. It was Taehyung's duty as a leader to greet their guests at the door, the others just came to scrutinize but as a Head Alpha he couldn't let his men see him slacking off.

It was a harder task than he initially thought because they had already been waiting for more than thirty minutes by now, which could have given him thirty more minutes of sleep if he had known exactly when the Bae pack would arrive. Next to him, Jungkook seemed to share none of his concerns. He was standing like a stake buried deep in the ground. He didn't yawn or squirm but looked at the door with military discipline.

Taehyung wished he could be like him too. He wished to be more collected and focused. It was difficult for him to sit through a meeting and maintain his attention for so long. Jungkook was different.

"Funny. And I wish I could be just like you," Jungkook said once before. 

"Why would anyone want to be like me? I'm useless."

"You're precious, Taehyung," the omega said with that soft smile of his. "You are able to see the good in everything and everyone. Even in my bastard father, you saw only the good and believed in him solemnly. It's a gift."

Taehyung called it naïve, but Jungkook's words were nicer. He really saw the good in everyone, but was that really a good thing?

He looked around the room, inspecting every wolf of his. According to Bae Hyungsik, someone took advantage of his so-called gift. But who? Lee Minho, who lived as a rogue in the forest for years because the Jeons exiled him and was one of the very first members? Or Choi Soonbin, who was even afraid of a fly? Or Choi Beomgyu, who was so precious to Taehyung that his heart began to ache even at the thought that the boy might betray him?

After yesterday, Beomgyu became the number one suspect, at least for Hoseok, but Taehyung couldn't believe him. Beomgyu was just an innocent boy. Even now, he was laughing in the corner with Taehyun. With a faint blush on their faces, they whispered and giggled in each other's ears. 

Young love, Taehyung knew how sweet it was. His gaze wandered back to the blond omega. Jungkook was no longer watching the door, but him, concern glinting in his eyes.

"Don't let Hobi get into your head," Jungkook said. He probably saw him watching Beomgyu and Taehyun. "Until we have proof, we cannot be prejudiced against anyone."

Easy to say. Not like Taehyung actually believed Beomgyu could be the spy - or that there was a spy, to begin with - but he knew Hoseok did, which already made things difficult.

He let out a painful sigh. He really wanted this war to be over soon.

He looked back at the entrance which magically opened like it was just waiting for his attention all along. A group of wolves walked in, some of them Taehyung even recognized, although he hardly had time to acknowledge them. Bae Hyungsik immediately distracted him.

"Pleased to see you, Kim," the man nodded at him, not looking pleased at all. Taehyung returned the gesture, thinking why the man was particularly grumpy today. From the corner of his eye, he could see Suzy embracing Jungkook in a warm hug. She looked fine. 

"How was your trip?" Taehyung asked politely. It took about two hours to get from one pack house to the other, but during the war, when Jeon's men could be anywhere, they had to be extra careful and use smaller, more hidden paths which may have taken twice as long.