× eighteen ×

Birthday boy

×××

"Coward," Yoongi snickered with a look of disgust written on his face.

Ignoring him, Taehyung just crawled back in the safe shelter of the shadows so the late summer sunbeams wouldn't burn his feet any further. He was currently sitting on his master's porch on a dilapidated chair, peeling peas.

Once in a while, it felt nice to do something as simple and monotonous as that. During peeling, he didn't need to think. He let his thoughts wander to hidden parts of his mind, not concentrating on anything else than the soft humming that slipped through his chapped lips in a low baritone.

Usually, it didn't cause him any trouble to switch off his mind, but this time, he couldn't get Jungkook out of his head. Even after three days, he was still recalling the events that happened back in their pack house.

Jungkook was in heat and Taehyung let him suffer alone because he was offended.

"Get your ass up!" Yoongi grabbed his arm and tried to pull the trueblood into a standing position.

A few peas fell to the ground and rolled into different directions as Taehyung was abruptly stood up. He watched the small green balls escaping from his palms, just like how he escaped from Jungkook before.

"I don't want to go back," he whispered, still not meeting Yoongi's gaze. He was looking down on his sandals, observing the dried dirt captured under his nails.

"I don't care!" The other alpha roared. Yoongi clearly didn't give half a shit about what Taehyung wanted. He forced him to stand up straight and dragged him away from Bang Sihyuk's cottage.

The old trueblood was standing in the corner, watching the scene with a small smile. He was the one who contacted Yoongi and informed him that their Head Alpha was free-loading at his place.

The man was fine with it for a day, agreeing that Taehyung needed some rest. But he started to get annoyed on the second day, listening to Taehyung's endless whining. Then, on the third day, he got enough and finally managed to kick him out.

"Jungkook's heat is over," Yoongi informed him as they made their way across the forest. "He passed out a few hours ago so you're free to come back."

Taehyung didn't know whether to rejoice or grieve. Of course, he felt sorry for the omega, dealing with a heat alone was tiring and painful, but at the same time, he was still mourning his offended pride. Whether Jungkook was conscious or not, Taehyung by no means wanted to meet him. Not yet.

Unfortunately, it wasn't his decision to make. Yoongi didn't care what he wanted, he just did what he was told. A pack needs its Head Alpha.

When they got back, Taehyung was surprised to see the busy wolves running around the building. Some carried flowers, others balanced cakes and other treats on trays, and there were some who tried to remove the last grains of dust from every square inch of the pack house. It was hectic. More hectic than usual.

He saw Beomgyu and Taehyun decorating the entrance of the common room, he saw Hoseok packing tables and saw Jimin in the middle of the chaos giving out instructions with a clipboard in his hand.

Taehyung looked at Yoongi in confusion. "What is going on?"

The alpha's reaction was somewhere between anger and disbelief. He looked like he couldn't decide what to say. In the end, he just blurted out. "It's Jungkook's birthday. Did you forget?"

Taehyung facepalmed. He completely forgot with all the drama going on.

He knew it wasn't a valid excuse, his pack was preparing for this day for months. Their beloved Luna's coming-of-age party was a huge deal. How could Taehyung forget about it?