The Whole Truth

May 25, 2018
I haven't spoken to JJ or anyone else in 5 days. Haven't done any shifts in the clinic. I've really just been replaying the last 10 months of my life over and over in my head and trying to see where it went wrong. I've left JJ at least four voicemails a day that go unanswered and it was time to leave my second one of the day.

I heard the tone beep so I started, "Hey, JJ, it's me again. I know you don't wanna talk to me. I know you probably don't wanna see me ever again, but I uh- I'm still here. I'm still here and I always will be because um... honestly I don't know what I'd do without you. Now that you've been a part of my life I can't see myself with anyone else. I-I'm sure you can though, you're beautiful and smart and strong and I don't deserve you. But I want you, JJ. I need you. My life has been complete shit the last 5 days and I," big sigh, "I'm really starting to give up here. I love you."

I hung up the phone and took another swig of my tequila. My first bottle of the day was almost depleted. I passed out on the couch at some point and honestly hoped I wouldn't wake up unless JJ was there.

JJ's POV
Penelope hacked into Emily's phone for me so I could see the messages between her and Jade. She clearly didn't want to get back together with her but it was the lying that I didn't appreciate. From day one I was worried that Emily hadn't been taking me seriously— like I was just another blonde for her to fuck. For some reason, seeing Jade really fueled that theory for me. I can't be with someone who just treats me like another score. Was Emily treating me like that? How can I be sure she isn't?

As mad as I am with Emily right now, I have to be honest and admit that I miss her. Henry's asked for her at least 50 times by now and I don't know what to tell him. I've listened to all the voicemails Emily has sent and cried at every single one. Her last voicemail was particularly emotional. At the end of it she said she feels like she's starting to give up. That's not a good sign. Should I keep ignoring her or try to fix this? Would life without her be so painful? These are the thoughts I was pondering when I put my head down on the pillow for the night.
—————————————
"Hotch, I see the unsub. He's standing on the edge of the roof and he's got a woman with her at gun point."

"Okay, JJ, I want you and Morgan to head up there and I'll put snipers high and wide around the area. Do not antagonize him— profile says he'll go down shooting."

"Copy that sir," I motioned to Morgan, "Let's go up." We slowly snuck up the roof and approached the unsub from behind with our guns out.

I called to him, "Pierce Jones, FBI, turn around and put your hands where I can see them!" He spun around, still holding the woman at gun point: Emily.

I exclaimed, "Emily!" She had tears in her eyes as he dug the gun deeper into her skin. I was completely frozen where I stood.

Morgan spoke up for me, "Pierce drop the gun and let her go! We can talk about this!"

"Not a chance!"

"You and I both know how this is gonna end, Pierce!"

He looked around seemingly paranoid before lifting the gun up to his head, "I'm not going back to prison" The trajectory of the bullet was still in Emily's direction— if he pulled the trigger now he'd kill them both.

I cried out, "No! Don't do it!" I lunged forward to try and stop him but it was too late. He fired the gun and sent fragments of metal through both their skulls. Emily's limp body fell to the cement. I ran to her and sobbed over her lifeless shell.
—————————————
My nightmare shook me awake as I opened my eyes to the dark abyss of my bedroom. I immediately broke down in tears because of how real the dream felt. I got up and ran to go get one of the sweatshirts Emily left in my house. I crawled back into bed with it and held it like a security blanket close to my body. I inhaled her scent and felt it relax me. I can't do this without Emily, I can't lose her. I have to fix this

The next morning
I dropped Henry off at Penelope's house at the crack of dawn and immediately took off for Emily's. I felt kinda bad for pounding on the door at 6:30 am but really didn't care.

She opened it and saw me standing there, crying uncontrollably, "JJ?"

I stepped forward and fell into her arms, embracing her for the first time in nearly a week. I sobbed into her chest as she rubbed my back and whispered comforts in my ear. She picked me up, bridal style, and carried me into her bedroom. She sat me on the edge of the bed and took my shoes off. I scooted backward to the headboard and pulled her pillow into my lap, holding onto it for dear life. She climbed onto the bed and sat criss-crossed next to me.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" I nodded. "Okay, did something happen?" I nodded again. "Is someone hurt?" I shook my head. "D-Does it have to do with... me?" I nodded. She sighed and started talking again.

"JJ, I-I'm gonna go back pretty far so bear with me. I um, I met Jade at my office about 10 months ago just like how I met you. And I liked her for a lot of the same reasons— I thought she was smart, and kind, and pretty. After a few months she-she changed, almost? She started acting very selfish and demanding and I-I didn't really know what to do. I didn't wanna break up with her, not because I still liked her, but because I was almost... afraid to hurt her feelings? I know that sounds stupid, but... that's how I felt. I wanted to end things with her after a month or two, but we went on for six. I was miserable. She could tell, but she passed it off as me being cold or heartless— acting like I was incapable of showing love to someone. In reality, what she wanted from me was too much and it was very overwhelming. She ended up leaving me because I guess I wasn't satisfying her needs, and then the best thing happened because I met you three weeks later. A-And you're so much better than her in every way and... you make me feel like I'm making you happy. And that's all I ever really wanna do, is make you happy. I would never get back together with Jade, no matter how many times she shows up at my door. I'll happily slam it in her face every occasion. Anyway, that's my truth... the whole truth."