2: the boy across the street

"First learn the rules
xxx
Then break them"

◇◆◆◇

Keytlin~

Rule no. 5: Never, ever, under no circumstances, exchange a nice word with Nate Jordan.

I look out the window as Nate gets out of the car and pulls his luggage out of the trunk. I have to admit: He is handsome. His tousled black hair stands up in every direction, as if he just woke up. His cold blue eyes look like they're going to catch you, haunt you down, until he has what he wants. All I can see in them is mischief. His sharp cheekbones and his jawline (you would want to see his jawline. It's to drool for) make him look like an angel, or at least like the supermodels I see every time I turn on the TV. His white long sleeve shirt stretches over his broad shoulders when he leaned down to take his luggage from the ground. I can see the beginning of a tattoo on the side of his throat but can't see the rest because it's hidden under his shirt. It looks good. Very good.

Although he looks nice, I know from rumors that he is anything but. I shouldn't listen to rumors. Last time there went a rumor around our school I had to go to the doctor, checking if I had any venereal disease. Turned out that I was a virgin. Surprise. But my mom insisted in going with me because she has heard that I slept with so many guys that you couldn't count them.

Oh, how I love High School.

You wouldn't want to know in what kind of trouble that rumor got me. My mom, who is a strictly religious, hearing about me that I was sleeping with every guy on my school. I think you can imagine how angry she was? She almost sent me away. To a convent. My life would've been over.

Anyway, Nate finally goes inside his house and disappears closing the door but not before I heard his mother squeak. Smiling I turn around. I like his mom. Her and my family got friends during Nate's absent.

No one really knows why he was gone for almost six months. Some say that he was in prison, some say that he had a problem with his drug dealer, so he had to hide. I on the other hand know that he was in the USA, living with his dad. Nate and his mom got into a fight and she sent him away. She couldn't handle him anymore, sent him there so he would change. He didn't though. He got even into more trouble, almost got into prison, did everything humanly possible to make his father's life hard. He hates his dad. And I would too, if my dad ran away with a hollow blonde chick, leaving his son and wife behind.

So Nate finally apologized to his mom, promising to change, but I doubt that he means it. He still looks like everything he wants to do is getting into trouble, but his mom loves him so there must be something lovable about him, right?

I shouldn't judge him by his looks, after all I never judge a book by its cover.

It isn't fair. I mean, I wouldn't like to be judged by the way I look.

A beep of my phone tears me out of my trance.

Coming over at 7pm. Be ready!

I smile at the message from Gina. She always does that. Doing last minutes visiting. And I love her for that, for her impulse and that she understands my obsession with my rules.

■■■▪■■■■■▪■■■

5 hours later ~ 6:30 pm

"No you don't understand Nate! I'm breaking up with you! I don't want to have anything to do with you anymore!", a female voice reaches me. It comes from outside so out of curiosity I go to my open window and look down at the street.

I feel like a total stalker. But I'm just curious. It's my most annoying trait.

There they are, Lindsey Johnson and Nate standing in his front yard, fighting.