18: the day after

•I made lots of mistakes in my past. But if you judge me on what I did in my past, then you don't belong in my future•
~Tyga

Nate~

"This wasn't supposed to happen."

"You didn't have any influence on this, Nate. Don't be too harsh on yourself," Matt mumbled as he's sitting down next to me passing me a beer.

I frown and open the bottle taking a long sip out of it. My elbows rest on my knees as I look blankly on the turned off TV.

"Look, I know you blame yourself for what happened yesterday", he starts leaning back against the couch. "But you didn't know. You couldn't have known that this would happen. Hell, I thought they lost interest. So don't think about it too much, you didn't know. You were there and helped her, that's what matters."

His voice sounds light as if this thing didn't happen. As if everything me and Keytlin went through were just a product of our imagination.

I opened my mouth to disagree but a female voice broke me to it.

"He's right. You didn't know. I didn't know. We're not to blame." Keytlin's voice reaches me and I turn around to see her standing by the stairs with her arms crossed in front of her chest. After only seconds of watching her I know she is far from being alright. Her shoulders are slumped, her eyes looking anywhere but us. She makes her seem smaller than she actually is which is a sure sign that she feels like crap. My eyes fall on her hands where she fiddles with the skin of her fingers. I grimace. She's nervous. Anxious. I hate to see her that way.

"How are you doing?" Matt asks, concern lacing his voice, before I could even open my mouth.

Her eyes fall on him, wide and vulnerable. "I'm fine. Surprisingly." However, she nods her head one time too often but I bite my lip so I don't point out her anxious state.

She clears her throat, still not moving away from the stairs. "What time is it?"

"Two in the afternoon," I tell her after glancing on my watch. "Should I take you home?" I ask further, turning now fully towards her.

She nods and without saying anything she walks upstairs again, probably changing into her clothes which I washed the night before. I could have only guessed that she doesn't want to be in the same clothes that my father and Mr Lawson touched.

When she disappears from our sight I sigh heavily. Matt does the same and we both let our heads hang low.

"She's not alright," Matt points out and gives me a sad look.

"Tell me about it," I mumble, handing him back my beer before standing up. I stretch my muscles before making my way to my shoes where I putt them on.

As I'm waiting for Keytlin to come downstairs Matt looks at me expectantly. Sighing I roll my eyes and ask him what he wants.

"You're going to tell her you don't want to see her again don't you?" he asks accusingly and I close my eyes.

"Why?"

"Why? Because if I had just stopped talking to her after that one day, she wouldn't have been in that situation," I answer, guilt lacing my voice.