6: the return of the jerk

Love doesn't hurt.
Loving the wrong person does•

○●●○

Keytlin~

Rule no. 9: Never hurt other people just because they hurt you.

Rule no. 10: Don't allow Chris to hurt you, mentally and physically, ever again.

A few days after Chris' call I sit at the table with my parents eating lunch. The last time we ate lunch together was last year since they are both very busy. We only eat dinner. My dad being a successful lawyer and my mom an even more successful therapist they barely had time for me in the last couple of years of my so called life. And I'm not even mad. Actually I'm glad that they don't spend much time with me. That way they don't know what's going on in my life.

They only don't work today because it's their 25th wedding anniversary and they want to go out later that day.

"So, Keytlin, you've planned anything for the last week of spring break?", my Mom asks expectantly. "Do you meet with Chris since it's his last week in town? He's going to Chicago next week isn't he?"

At the mention of Chris' name a lump forms in my throat and my heart is aching.

"Uhm, Chris and I broke up", I choke as answer to the question, my voice cracking.

"What? Why?", my Dad and Mom ask at the same time.

I blow air out my mouth. "He cheated on me and I broke up."

"Okay, I'm going to hurt him for hurting you ...", and then my Dad says something that my eyes widen in shock. He never curses let alone uses words like that. I look at him for what seems like hours.

He has the same light brown hair I have and light grey eyes that seem almost white. It still freaks me out.

"No, Dad, I've already dealt with him. Please. I don't want to ever see him again nor do I want to talk about him again? Okay?"

"If you say so", he says unsure if he should believe me or not. But he waves it away. As always. I can't deny how hurt I feel because of the stupidity and blindness toward my feelings but I guess I have to live with that.

The following minutes of lunch no one says a word. I finish and walk upstairs to my room.

Throwing myself on my bed I put on my headphones and turn on my music and I start to write.

The few people I've shown my work keep saying that I'm talented but honestly? I think they only say it to be polite. Sure, my writing isn't that terrible and I'm probably more talented than most teenagers my age but there are people at least a hundred times more talented than I am.

My Mom even told me to study writing but I don't think I want to do that. Sure, it's a hobby. It's fun and I like, no I love writing but when I go to college to study it, it'll get forced and I'm afraid that I lose the fun of it.

When my favourite song comes on I start to sing along with the lyrics not hearing that someone knocks on my door and comes in. So when I feel a hand on my shoulder I jump and if my bed was any smaller I would've fallen on the ground. Luckily it was a double bed.

I look up at my mom and turn off the music. She has a black dress on and my dad wears with no doubt a suit.

"I'm sorry for scaring you, hun, but I just wanted to tell you that we'll go now. We'll be back at around 11."

"Yeah, sure. Have fun", I say with a fake smile. I'm happy for my parents, of course I am. They still look like they are in love, deeply in love. Even after 20 years of being married to each other and that's great. I just don't feel like smiling. For that I feel way too sad. And no one seems to notice. Not even them.