17: torturous waiting

We all have a little 'I want to save the world' in us. But it's okay if we only save one person, and it's also okay if this person is you•

Keytlin~

It isn't until Nate falls asleep that I leave the room. Once the door closes behind me I'm greeted by Matt who probably listened to our whole conversation the entire time.

He is about to say something but I just walk past him and down the stairs. I hear him call my name and footsteps running down the stairs until he's beside me.

"Did you two kiss?", he asks.

"Straight to the point I see", I mumble turning into his living room where Emily is sitting snapping through the channels on the tv.

"So? How was it?", he continues ignoring my obvious disinterest and annoyance.

"How was what?", Emily says, now turning off the TV as she faces us two.

They really are perfect for each other. One more curious than the other one.

"Keytlin and Nate kissed", Matt answers for me and I frown, "you know, mouth to mouth contact."

"Holy shit", Emily curses, her mouth agape, "How the fuck did that happen?"

I finally turn towards her with an annoyed look. "We didn't kiss. We may have kissed if Matt didn't come in."

I don't see the pillow flying until it hits Matt in the face with a thud.

"Matt you idiot", she hissed, "Why would you do that?"

He lifts the pillow again and throws it back at her, hitting her in the stomach.

"I didn't know! If I had know wouldn't you think I would just let them be?", he argues back. While they bicker back and forth I just shake my head and role my eyes while walking out of Matt's house.

--

Nate and I didn't talk about the almost-kiss when he felt better again. I couldn't believe I was that stupid anyway. How could I let it go so far?

Thing is, while I don't think he'd hurt me physically I can't help but think about my last relationship with Chris. He didn't look like he'd hurt me either and look what it got me.

The ability to trust is something complex. I don't know how to explain it but every time I think about Nate as more than a friend I can't help but see Chris' fave, I can't help but see Chris in Nate. Which is unfair to Nate.

He is nothing like Chris.

On my way to my car I hear something crack behind me. I spin around looking around the now empty parking lot. I was in the library to research for a presentation I wanted to do in history and totally forgot the time.

It's foggy outside and I can barely see three metres. It's not a rarity that there is a sudden drop of temperature in Canada, especially in Toronto. This happens all the time, so I'm not really surprised that I can see my breath in front of me.

No cars are on the street anymore and the light of the street lamps in addition to the fog make the atmosphere more than gloomy. Out of the corner of my eye I see a dark figure standing next to a car. It's barely recognizable since my reading glasses are fogged. Not a good combination.

Puffing out my breath I start to walk faster to my car. I faintly hear footsteps behind me but I don't let them get to me. Instead I just fiddle with my car keys, trying to find the right one. Just when I found it a hard objects hits my head. I fall against my car. Everything starts to spin, my knees start to wobble. I black out shortly before I fall on the ground.