19: breaking the law

Sometimes, two people have to fall apart to realize how much they need to fall back together

Keytlin~

"I still don't think this is a good idea," I whisper as we both climb over the fence. When I jump down on the other side I look around the area.

Absolutely no one was here, which is not a surprise since it's after closing hour.

When Nate stopped in front of the gates of Hilton Falls, one hour away from Toronto, the sun hang low on the sky and it would soon slowly start to disappear. After a long argument about how this was illegal, I lost.

Nate lands beside me smoothly seconds later and looks at me, grinning.

"What, are you afraid?" he teases and I exhale a shaking breath.

"O-of course not, but this is illegal and when we get caught-"

"We won't get caught, trust me," he reassures me before starting to walk. However, I stay where I am, being unsure of what to do. When Nate realizes that I didn't follow him he turns around with a sigh, takes me hand and pulls me with him.

After some time struggling against his grip I give up and we walk side by side through the forest, trees flanking both our sides. It's completely silent, not even the wind makes any sounds and it makes me feel incredibly uneasy. Nate probably senses that and he nudges me on my shoulder. I look up and see his eyes sparkling with mischief. I haven't seen him so on ease for a long time now.

"I've done this more times than I could count, Keytlin. Trust me, nothing is going to happen," he explains and gestures for me to continue walking. I close my eyes, sighing, before letting go of my fears. He's right. Nothing is going to happen.

When I open my eyes again Nate waits for me patiently. He offers me a hand which I take gratefully. Now that I'm not consumed by my fear I can actually enjoy the nature. Our backs are turned towards the now setting sun however we're facing the dark blue-purplish sky, a few stars sparkling down on us.

We walk for a few minutes straight ahead before Nate pulls me to the left where a small path is hidden by a branch. He pulls it aside and lets me walk in first before he follows.

I can't help but feel exhilarated and excited at the same time. Adrenaline pumps through my veins as we walk on the small path, passing a small cave. Listening closely I can hear bats slowly waking up. After that we walk over a wooden bridge passing a lake. The moon, which could faintly be seen due to the sun still shining, throws light on the lake from the one side, the sun however throws an orange light from the other side, in the middle of the lake it mixed and it looks like day and night finally met, it's like we are passing the border between two timezones and it is beautiful.

However, we don't stay here, although I want to.

"There is somethjng better I want to show you."

I nod and let him lead me. After some time I start to hear rushing of water and it crashing down. I know what's coming so I bit down on my lips.

We climb down a small hill and then round a corner.

The first thing I see, is some kind of a bridge made out of bricks, however dirt and plants grew over it. Then I see the light glow of the waterfall. Somehow, the moon and the sun throw light on the water causing it to gleam in a white and orange color. I then notice the path leading down to this place, a much easier path.

"Why didn't we-"

"Because a guy once in a while walks down that way so stupid teenagers don't get the stupid idea to actually get here after hours."