15) At Peace

The group sat quietly on the aircraft as they headed back to Sokovia

"Rescue people. That's our main priority" Steve said standing tall and proud as he lead the group. Francesca twiddled her thumbs together.

"Hey" Tony whispered placing a hand on her back near her shoulder blade. He sat in the seat next to her. "Pepper is going to have the work transferred to you weekly online. So you can backpack or whatever after this" Tony continued. Francesca looked up dropping her hands down.

"Really?" She questioned, perking up slightly. She wanted to make sure Tony was serious.

"Yeah. I need you as the CEO. The company has been flourishing with you but I know I can't convince you to stay in NYC so this is the next best thing"

"Thank you" she softly muttered wrapping her arms around her brother. The two hugged for a few seconds before pulling away. The sibling affection was enough for rest of the whole year... at least.

"Okay remember. Civilians" Steve lectured as they arrived. Francesca and Tony immediately changed their demeanors to be serious and in the zone. She jumped off the aircraft and began to assist the citizens. Shooting at the robots every so often, until there were too many.

"Might need backup in the southeast" Francesca radioed but no one responded back. It was clear everyone was tied up as well. She yelled for everyone to run as she fired guns from both her hands until the bullets ran out. She dropped the guns and ran at the robot ripping its head off in one motion.

Suddenly the ground began to shake, dust filling the air. Francesca watched as the road broke apart, the other side slowly separating.

"Are we?" Francesca asked.

"Flying? Yes, to our death" Tony answered. Francesca stood towards the edge looking down, before instantly regretting it. She looked back up and behind her to see more robots coming. She sighed, rolling up her sleeve, her fists tightly rolled.

As she fought off the last robot in sight, Ultron's booming voice creepily announced "when the dust settles, the only thing living will be metal". Francesca knew Ultron wouldn't stop until they were dead.

The group fought off all the robots, trying to have  Ultron as the only one standing. Francesca stood by the edge of the land, the view indicated they were high up. She could hear a loud humming noise.

"Nice, right? Pulled her out of mothballs with a couple old friends. She's dusty, but she'll do" Fury announced as the Helicarrier came into view.

"Fury, you son of a bitch" Steve said.

"Woo. You kiss your mother with that mouth?" Fury teased. Francesca couldn't help but laugh. She watched as smaller pods landed on the floating island. She quickly rushed people to safety.

"Don't push" she instructed as people frantically fled. "Do we have a plan?" She asked. Radio silence was on the other end for a minute.

"I got it. Create a heat seal. I could... I could supercharge them spire from below... Rhodey get people to safety. Avengers time to work for a living" Tony announced. Francesca ran to the town center meeting the others. As they waited for Natasha, Thor egotistical yelled "is that the best you can do?" at Ultron. Behind him swarms of robots headed their way.

"Really" Francesca said.

"You had to ask" Steve sighed. The group exchanged a look with each other.

"This is the best I can do! This is exactly what I wanted. All of you against all of me. How can you possibly hope to stop me " Ultron said.

"Like the old man said. Together"

The robot minions flooded yet the group worked tougher as a collective whole to protect the drill. Everyone including Francesca used their powers to destroy the robots before Tony and Thor tackled Ultron, burning him to a crisp.

"We need to move out, the air is getting thin. You guys get to the boat. I'll sweep for stragglers. Be right behind you" Cap instructed. Francesca slowly tried to catch her breath as fighting all those robots. She headed to the pod helping the last of the civilians in her area before boarding herself.

She anxiously watched as the island crumbled into tiny pieces minutes later. She just needed to hear her brother say he was alright.

"Tony?" She asked over the intercom.

"Francesca I just almost died what?" He asked annoyed. She sighed a breath a relief.
———

A few weeks later....

"Yes Tony. I'm settling in fine. I have WiFi" she said with her cellphone to her ear, resting against her shoulder as she unpacked her belongings into her new apartment.

"Well. Good. Make sure you come back though. I built a brand Avengers facility. You would hate it" Tony joked.

"Well. If I hate Bucharest then I'll surely come back. For now you can call or email me" Francesca said grabbing the phone into her hand. She walked out onto her balcony looking out at the market below. A familiar baseball cap instantly caught her attention. "Tony I'm gonna have to go" she said hanging up the phone despite Tony protesting on the other end. She rushed downstairs and outside to see Bucky sorting through the apples. She slowly and quietly walked over grabbing the same apple, their hands touching each other.

"Sorry" she said smiling. Bucky looked up at the sound of her voice.