16) Sokovia Accords

"Here let me pay half" Francesca said grabbing her purse and digging through it for some cash

"Here let me pay half" Francesca said grabbing her purse and digging through it for some cash. She pulled out a few bills when Bucky waved his hand no.

"I'm old school you can say. A women should never pay" Bucky said smiling. Francesca couldn't help put let a small smile creep onto her own face. She pushed the money back into her purse pleasantly surprised. After all this time Bucky was still the same man.

"Not many guys are like you. My last date conveniently forgot his wallet with a tab full of beers" Francesca said grinning from ear to ear. She was thoroughly enjoying herself, being in Bucky's company. The two got up from the table and began to walk home back to their apartments.

"So tell me about your grandfather. He served, right? What was the war like?" Francesca asked Bucky. Bucky stiffened up trying to remember the good ole days, before all of this.

"My uh grandfather, James, who I was named after, he fought in World War II in the 107th infantry regiment. He was captured by Hydra but Captain America saved him" Bucky explained. Francesca was all fascinated until Steve Rogers was mentioned. He was just another reminder of her father's successful serum Solider and the failure she was to him.

"I see" Francesca said clinging onto Bucky's good arm. "And you? The arm, you lost it in a war?"

"Yeah. The only way to save me was to chop it off" Bucky explained. "So tell me about you?"

"I have an older egotistical brother who I can't stand" Francesca began laughing. "But really he's great, my parents died 20 years ago and he's the only family I have left"

Bucky gripped her hand softly showing support. Francesca weakly smiled. Although the two had just rekindled after spending some time away from each other, it felt as though they knew each other their whole lives.

"I want to be honest" Francesca began stopping in the middle of the street. "I run this huge, billions I'm taking, company. I just don't want that to change anything"

Bucky leaned in for a kiss, dipping Francesca backwards towards the ground.

"It doesn't change a thing" Bucky whispered as he pulled her up. Francesca was swooning at all the old school moves Bucky was pulling off. She smiled, gripping his hand in hers.
———
One year later...

"Tony, I'm kind of busy" Francesca said with the phone tight against her ear. She switched her phone to her other ear as she peered around the corner looking to see if Bucky was around.

"It's only a few minutes. It involves you because your still an Avenger, if you haven't forgotten" Tony muttered. Francesca sighed looking back into the hallway to see Bucky still watching tv on the couch. She slowly closed the bedroom door and sat on the edge of the bed listening to the important meeting.

"Okay Francesca is on the call" Tony said over the speaker. Francesca listened to the man begin to give his speech. "Five years ago I had a heart attack. Dropped right in the middle of my back swing. Turns out it was the best round of my life because after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass I found something 40 years in the army never taught me. Prospective. The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives but while a great many people see you as heroes there are some who prefer the word vigilantes"

"And what word would you use Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked quickly. Francesca could already tell this meeting was far from being simple and painless.

"How about dangerous. What would you call a group of U.S based enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who frankly seem unconcerned on what they leave behind" the Secretary of State lectured. Francesca could hear in the background sounds from video footage of New York, Washington D.C., Sokovia, and Lagos. A few of the places the Avengers had fought to protect.

Although Francesca hadn't fought in the recent Lagos fight she knew what had taken place. Every news station made sure to give their input.

"Okay that's enough" Steve said, the video cutting off immediately.

"For the past 4 years you have operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate.... but I think we have a solution. Sokovia Accords"

A heavy book could be heard being passed out for those at the meeting to read. "Approved by 117 countries it states the Avengers should no longer be a private organization. Instead they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel. Only when and if that panel seems if necessary. Francesca a copy will be sent to you as well"

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that"

"Tell me Captain do you know where Thor and Banner are? Compromise and reassurance that's how the world works. In three days the panel meets to ratify the accords. Talk it over, and make sure Francesca is given a copy"

"Great. I'll read it over" Francesca said before ending the call. The bedroom door opened just as she hung up. "Sorry, work was calling" Francesca lied jumping  off the bed. She wrapped her arms around Bucky's neck while his hands rested on her lower back. She leaned in for a kiss, quickly pulling away.

Bucky smirked before leaning down once more placing kisses all over her neck and collarbone. Francesca felt slightly guilty for not letting Bucky in on the fact that she was an Avenger and doing stuff behind his back but she knew it was better for him not to know. It was a way to one protect him, and two keep their relationship simple.