Chapter One

Lauren was on her way to Ms. Cabello's house the following morning, and all she could think about was why the past nurses quit so early in their job of taking care of her. She understood that the girl was probably uncooperative, but how bad could she possibly be? After all, Lauren's patient was blind, so she couldn't have been too terrible. 

        According to Mr. Holland, Lauren was best suited for the job because of her past experience with treating and taking care of children with blindness. Lauren's final project in college was to take care of a certain patient over the course of the semester, and have the patient's supervisor grade the student on their job. She ended up getting the highest grade on the project in her class, because the child that Lauren cared for insisted that her life was changed for the better all because of Lauren. The little girl's name was Annabelle, and Lauren often calls her family up to see how she was doing. It was little things like helping a little girl happy that Lauren became a nurse. She wanted no more than to help people and save people's lives. That's what she was in it for.

        She soon found herself pulled up in front of a cute, little house that belonged to her patient. It was a very well-maintained house with freshly cut grass and new paint, so Lauren assumed that Karla must have regularly paid someone to clean up the house for her. 

        Lauren took a deep breath before exiting her 2015 Honda Accord and making her way up to the front door. She pressed the doorbell, and waited nervously for about thirty seconds before the door finally opened to reveal a smaller brown-haired girl with white eyes. Lauren expected the woman to look much more intimidating, but she assumed that her looks were probably deceiving.

        Before she could manage a word, Lauren was interrupted by the girl, "My mother sent you, didn't she?"

        "N-" Lauren was cut off again.

        "Holland?" she asked.

        "Yes." Lauren managed to say. 

        "He warned you, didn't he? About me, I mean."

        "Yes. Does it offend you that he feels that way about you? That you're hard to maintain?" 

        "No." Camila said, sternly. "Now you can either run away like the rest of them, or you can come in. What'll it be?"

        "I'm coming in. I'm not like everyone else." Lauren told her.

        "Very well. Come in." she said, as she held the door wide open for Lauren.

        Lauren entered the house and glanced around at all of the modern furniture and artwork that hung around the house. She was led through the hallway and into the kitchen, which reminded her that she needed to ask about whether her patient had been eating and if she had been doing normal daily tasks such as brushing her teeth and getting dressed into clean clothes. This was information that Lauren needed for her journal that she chose to keep in order to record what she had done. The journal would make things easier for when she went to report back to Mr. Holland.

        "How should I address you? Ms. Cabello? Karla?" Lauren asked.

        "Camila. Just call me Camila. I dislike using my first name, and calling me Ms. Cabello makes me sound old." she answered.

        "Okay, Camila. Have you eaten anything for breakfast? Or anything recently for that matter?" 

        "Yes."

        "What did you have?" 

        "It's none of your business." Camila replied, harshly.