Chapter Thirty

The doctor opened the door that Lauren and he had come face-to-face with to reveal Camila laying on a hospital bed. She was awake and talking to the nurse that was removing the IV from her arm, which was an exciting sight for Lauren to see. Camila was wearing a special type of blindfold that would block out any light that may enter her eyes if she were to open them. This was one of the things that the doctor had told her about previously, since any form of light could destroy the work of the procedure altogether. Camila's eyes were very sensitive, and it would take time for them to adjust to normal lighting.

"The surgery was a success, we would like to think," the doctor began. "However, we won't find out until she opens her eyes in a few weeks. Things took a little longer than usual because this girlfriend of yours is really stubborn."

Lauren laughed to herself, acknowledging that this was true, then replied, "Well I'm still glad that things worked out. For some reason, I had the feeling that she'd struggle a little bit."

The doctor joined her in laughter and said, "Well, she's ready to go home whenever you're all ready."

Lauren nodded and thanked the doctor for all that he had done, then made her way over to Camila's bedside. She took her girlfriend's hand and began to rub the back of it gently with her own in order to comfort her. 

"Lauren?" Camila asked in a sleepy voice.

"Well I'd hope that it was me holding your hand," Lauren giggled.

A smile etched its way onto Camila's face at the sound of her voice, which caused Lauren to smile as well. Camila's smile had always had this effect on Lauren, but the fact that anything could have happened during the procedure made it all more special. 

"So I heard that you gave the surgeon a hard time, Camila," Lauren began. "What was the big deal with that?"

Camila smirked and answered, "I like to have my fun. Even in serious situations, I've never given doctors an easy experience."

"Why?"

"You know my mother, Lauren. She always wanted the best for me, even if it wasn't always the best. She would literally make a doctor's appointment for me every single month of the year just to make sure that I was healthy. You may think that she's a nutcase now, but she wasn't always that way. She was much worse," Camila explained to her curious girlfriend.

Lauren laughed at Camila's silly explanation of her mother, then said, "That's pretty crazy, but I don't think anything measures up to her stalking you from outside of my house at night."

"What are you talking about?" Camila asked, confused by Lauren's words. 

Lauren then remembered that she had never told her girlfriend about the night that Camila's mother had been sneaking around her house one night. She also remembered having mentioned that there was 'some psycho' wandering around outside of the house, but she never mentioned that it was her mom.

"Remember that night that I said that there was 'some psycho' roaming around outside of our house? That was your mom," Lauren finally answered.

Camila just burst out into laughter and responded, "Well I could have figured as much. Now when can I leave?"

"The doctor said that we can leave whenever you're ready. Are you ready now?"

Camila nodded her head, then got up from her place on the hospital bed. Lauren latched her arm around Camila to guide her out of the room after quickly giving their thanks to the doctor who had been taking care of her procedure. On the way out to the waiting room, Camila had come close to falling a few times due to the anesthesia that was wearing off of her now, but Lauren was too careful to let her fall.