Chapter Seventeen

Camila and Lauren waited in the waiting room to hear the news and fate of Vero and her children. The two were very nervous, and all they could do was expect the worst. As the seconds turned to minutes, and minutes to hours, the girls only grew more anxious and worried. About five hours after they brought Vero into the room, her doctor appeared from around the corner. Lauren and Camila stood up to gather all of the information that they could.

"So, there's good news and bad news. Then there's more bad news, that could probably be prevented with a decision. First off, the babies arrived safely and healthily-" he was cut off.

"Babies?!" Lauren and Camila exclaimed together.

He replied, "Yes, it came to a surprise to us too. There is a boy and a girl, and they are both resting up along with the other newborns. And the bad news is, Vero isn't doing well at all. To be choked out right as you're about to go into labor with two children is never good for one's health. She's fading fast, and she's requested to see Lauren in her final minutes. As for the other bad news... the twins will be split up and sent to different orphanages."

"No way!" Lauren and Camila again exclaimed together.

Lauren continued, "There is no way that I'm going to let them be split up! They're twins, and they should be raised together! I'll do it if I have to with Camila's help! Right, Camila?"

Camila nodded and added, "Absolutely. Those twins shouldn't be apart from one another."

"That's something that I would go over with the adoption agency, and Vero if you can." he said. "Now Lauren, follow me."

Lauren nodded, then followed him down the hall to the room where Vero was being held. When she walked in, she was horrified to see her friend on the brink of death. Despite the fight that they all had back at the house, she was still Lauren's best friend. Lauren stood next to Vero's bed side, then watched her as she turned her head to face Lauren. Her face was sweating from the child birth, and she was beginning to breathe unsteadily. 

"Hey." she said in a low voice.

"Hey." Lauren replied, "What's going on?"

"I just wanted to say thank you for saving my kids. As for me, I don't think I'll be able to move on in life. This is a lot to ask, Lauren I know, but I want you and Camila to raise them." Vero said, causing Lauren's jaw to drop to the floor.

Lauren responded, "Of course I'll do that for you. What are the babies's names?"

"I named them after the both of you. The girl is Laurie, and the boy is Cameron. I would have named her Camille, but she is a boy."

This caused Lauren's face to form a sweet smile and for her to feel warm from doing a good thing. Lauren took hold of Vero's hand, then knelt down to her eye level. "Is there anything else, Vero?"

"That's all. I just wanted to say that you've been a great friend to me since I met you, and I love you Lauren. Sorry that I couldn't have been born lesbian for you back in high school." she smiled, with this comment causing them both to laugh.

"I love you too, Vero." Lauren replied.

Soon enough, Vero's eyes shut and she had fallen into a deep sleep for the rest of her life. Tears arose in Lauren's eyes as she had seen her best friend die before her very eyes. There was nothing that could have been done to save her, so Lauren knew that the best she could do was raise Cameron and Laurie. Lauren planted a kiss on Vero's forehead, then exited the room to greet the doctor that was waiting outside of the room.

"Did she?" he asked.

Lauren nodded with tears streaming down her face. "She wants me and Camila to raise the kids. That was her final wish."