Chapter Seven

After speeding to Camila's house, Lauren asked Dylan to stay behind and bolted off towards her front door. So many thoughts went through her mind as she ran. What happened to Camila? Was she okay? Was she hurt? She burst through the door in hysterical rage, looking around the house frantically.

        "Camila?! CAMILA?!" she called for her, with tears streaming down her face.

        "Lauren?!" Camila answered. "I'm in the living room!"

        Lauren rushed into the living room to see Camila doubled over in pain while clutching her right arm. Camila was sitting on the bottom step of the stairs that led to the second floor, and Lauren quickly took a spot next to her on the steps. She was grateful that Camila was not in any life-threatening danger, even though she did happen to get hurt.

        "What happened? Did you fall down the stairs?" Lauren asked.

        "How'd you guess?"

        "Well you are pretty klutzy, Camila. We should get you to the hospital to get you checked out."

        "Aren't you a nurse, Lauren? Couldn't you just do it?" she asked.

        "Yes, but I can't tell you anything about your arm just by examining it. You'll need to get an x-ray to know for sure what is wrong. I wouldn't be able to treat you with my kind of materials anyways. I'm a care-taking type of nurse, not an RN." Lauren explained with a frown, standing back up. "Dylan is going to take us to the hospital, I'm sure. I'm just going to have you stand up, okay? I'll lead you to his car."

        "Dylan? You mean the nice boy from the competition sign-ups? That Dylan?" she asked. "I don't want to go anymore. I'll just deal with the pain without a doctor's assistance. I should be fine."

        Lauren was confused. What did Camila have against him? She just told her that he was nice, but is saying she doesn't want to ride with him. Dylan was a really nice guy, and Lauren could honestly see him as a good friend in the future.

        "What's the deal with him? Do you not trust him driving?" Lauren asked.

        "It's not that. I just don't want to go anymore." Camila lied.

        "Camila. You're lying. Just come with us, please."

        "No!" she shouted.

        "No? If your arm is broken it could heal wrong if you don't get it checked out now!"

        "I don't want to go!" Camila yelled, like a child that didn't want to go to school.

        Lauren grabbed onto Camila's good arm and tugged lightly to try to get her to move. She didn't even budge, except to rip her arm free and use it to hold onto her hurt one. Camila sat down on the bottom step again, then stared off into blank space. Literally. 

        "Camila, I really don't understand what the whole deal is. Are you afraid of the doctors? If that's it, we can get through this together." Lauren said, trying to convince her to go.

        "Who? You, me, and your boyfriend?" she asked angrily.

        Lauren walked over to that space next to her on the steps, then took a seat. She finally understood why Camila didn't want to go.

        "Camila... Dylan is not my boyfriend. I don't plan on being with him. We're just friends, nothing more. Why are you so hurt over this?" Lauren asked Camila.

        "Because," she began with a tear rolling down her face. "I know I sound kind of possessive, Lauren, but I don't have any other friends. If you got a boyfriend, then I wouldn't see you as often. Aside from my family, you're all I have. When I pretty much gave you away to Dylan earlier, I was pissed and upset about it afterwards. It's in my mindset that couples spend so much time together, and if you two decided to go steady, I began to think about what would become of us. I care about you, Lauren... so, so much. It is my biggest fear to lose you, and I understand if you hate me now for being so idiotic."